Current Scams...

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Me too,

Recorded message in the morning, £600 pounds taken from your account 6mins ago..

Afternoon same message £600 taken from your account 6mins ago..

I take not one blind bit of notice, but plenty of people fall for these scams.

Where are they getting our landline phone numbers from ?  The phone book ?

19 hours ago, alandrea0 said:

Here's another scam to be aware of when advertising on Gumtree, Facebook and paying by Paypal...

My daughter recently advertised a fridge freezer for £100. She had a email from someone saying they wanted to buy it for their cousin, but she couldn't collect it as she was disabled in a wheelchair.  The buyer asked if she could arrange for it to be collected by a courier but the courier wanted £300 to collect and deliver. 

The woman said she would pay £400 into my daughters paypal account..£100 for fridge and £300 for courier, and then requested my daughter to send the £300 to the courier via paypal. 

we noticed something strange!!! The couriers paypal email address looked like a private email address, also the said payment from buyer would not clear in my daughters paypal account UNTIL she had paid the £300 to the courier...

When my daughter queried this with buyer via email and requested a telephone number to discuss the purchase and delivery, the buyer said she was DEAF.. LOL

We realised it was a definite scam to get £300 from my daughter and no one would turn up for the appliance...

WATCH OUT for this new scam when trying to sell items and paying via Paypal...

I'm  surprised  you entered this far into the scam, as if someone would pay £ 300 for a courier  to transport a £ 100 fridge.

It doesn't  take much thought, no one in their right mind would pay 3 times as much for the transport of a £ 100 item.

23 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I don't  think they print telephone books anymore.

You have to blame these companies who sell our data on without permission.

Some companies give you the choice to tick a box whether  to give permission to pass on your data, others don't. 

If I  get a call now on my landline and I don't recognize the number I just press record on the phone  and straight away the call ends. I am sure that if it was a genuine call they would leave a message. So just one ring and it goes straight to voice mail

48 minutes ago, pattricia said:

They are not getting your phone number from anywhere - phonebook or even 'sold on ' lists - they just set up an autodialler to ring a list of numbers in sequence. If your number is on that list and they get to it before they've had enough 'hits', your phone will ring.

I'm sure I've given this advice before, but if you get a call from a number you don't recognise, and you aren't expecting any calls, just let it go to voicemail, and the call will terminate. After a while - could be a long while - you will notice the volume of this crud will fall as systems learn they get no response. Believe me - it works.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

They are not getting your phone number from anywhere - phonebook or even 'sold on ' lists - they just set up an autodialler to ring a list of numbers in sequence. If your number is on that list and they get to it before they've had enough 'hits', your phone will ring.

I'm sure I've given this advice before, but if you get a call from a number you don't recognise, and you aren't expecting any calls, just let it go to voicemail, and the call will terminate. After a while - could be a long while - you will notice the volume of this crud will fall as systems learn they get no response. Believe me - it works.

Not everyone has voicemail.

5 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

The BT 1571 service is free - and if you are with a telco that doesn't use the BT infrastructure, they have their own  equivalents

Edited by RollingJ

If you don't want future calls from Scammers:

Here is an Ingenious Solution worth trying -

1. Record yourself Any Fax Machine Online Noise  or Computer Dial up Tones onto a C90 Tape.

2. Record this as your Reply Message if you can do this on your Answerphone...

3. Any Autodiallers would faithfully recognise your Line now (wrongly) as a Fax Machine.

4. As your line appears to be a Fax Machine, it (your number) would become useless to the Scammers, however if they send a real Fax, it would not work!

14 minutes ago, DeZeus said:

If you don't want future calls from Scammers:

Here is an Ingenious Solution worth trying -

1. Record yourself Any Fax Machine Online Noise  or Computer Dial up Tones onto a C90 Tape.

2. Record this as your Reply Message if you can do this on your Answerphone...

3. Any Autodiallers would faithfully recognise your Line now (wrongly) as a Fax Machine.

4. As your line appears to be a Fax Machine, it (your number) would become useless to the Scammers, however if they send a real Fax, it would not work!

Yup, would possibly be quicker than my 'ignore 'em , they'll get the message eventually' idea, but few people have that kind of equipment these days.

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Nope someone will be selling them on or they use a random dialler system that just selects numbers and rings. I am ex directory but get some spam calls, which I only know of if I look and see missed calls on the upstairs phone. My phone downstairs is BT call guardian but the one upstairs is a Panasonic which is set on silent, so unless it is someone I know who is in my contacts on the BT phone  the BT phone won't ring. 

2 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I don’t have voicemail but have BT call blocker. Trouble is even though their last number is blocked they just change their number.

4 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I don’t have voicemail but have BT call blocker. Trouble is even though their last number is blocked they just change their number.

See my reply #40 , and #42. If you aren't expecting an unknown number to ring you - ignore.

43 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

See my reply #40 , and #42. If you aren't expecting an unknown number to ring you - ignore.

Ok thanks.