Current Scams...

This is a new one to me. Just got back from picking my prescription up from Lloyds chemist when I got an email supposedly from them saying a new payee had been added to my account. If I hadn't authorised this I should go to the attached link. I deleted it obviously but I found it strange that I'd just been to Lloyds. I don't pay for my prescriptions so no transactions took place. 🤔

The 'Lloyds'  in that spam was supposedly the bank, not the chemist chain, and it is doing the rounds - next week they might change it to 'Natwest', but it will still be spam.

Recived a e,mail today about a book I ordered from Amazon the book was paid

for and postage was free, the e.mail from, [ noreply@formresponse ] acting for

[DHL-EXPRESS] said I owed £1.99 in shipping fees before it could be delivered and

I must make this payment today, it then gives me an option to complete my payment

before the package can be delivered, in other words get my bank details.

The give away that this is SPAM is if you click on the [service-dhl@support,co,uk]

part of the senders e.mail address it gives 25 other people who got the same e.mail,

and DHL. Do Not deliver Amazon parcels. 

Just one of many scam's.

BEWARE folks

Just had a message from my son about a very sophisticated SCAM going round

The alert is from the Police in London

DON'T click on any links, doing so and the cash from all your a/c's etc will be drained immediately

Apologies if you are already aware

7 minutes ago, Runningman said:

BEWARE folks

Just had a message from my son about a very sophisticated SCAM going round

The alert is from the Police in London

DON'T click on any links, doing so and the cash from all your a/c's etc will be drained immediately

Apologies if you are already aware

Any more details?  It is quite clearly a fake - why would the police in London have your email address or mobile number?

I don't see how clicking a link could clean out your bank account.

11 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

I don't see how clicking a link could clean out your bank account.

Actually, neither do I, but some people don't post enough detail, so duff 'information' is added further down the line - a bit like those old telegraph messages that got more garbled the further they went. 😉

On 22/03/2021 at 15:48, RollingJ said:

The 'Lloyds'  in that spam was supposedly the bank, not the chemist chain, and it is doing the rounds - next week they might change it to 'Natwest', but it will still be spam.

Yes Rolling J, you're probably right. I  assumed it was from the chemist as I'd just been there. The email was in fact very similar to the one I was sent from the chemist to say my prescription was ready. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56496203

People waiting for parcels to arrive have been given a fresh warning about a scam that claims payment is required for a package to be delivered.

Social media is awash with talk about the con, which involves a text message being sent that claims a parcel is awaiting delivery by Royal Mail.

Trading standards officers say people must not click on a link which connects to a copycat website run by fraudsters.

Royal Mail said it would never send a text message of this kind.

How it works

The text, claiming to be from Royal Mail arrives out of the blue and claims that "your Royal Mail parcel is awaiting delivery. Please confirm the settlement of 1.99 (GBP) on the following link".

The message then links to a website mocked up to look like an official Royal Mail site. The page requests personal and payment details, which scammers may use to steal someone's identity, or use to target them with other scams.

Royal Mail said it would not use such texts - unless specifically requested - and would use a grey card instead to tell people if any fee was required.

It warned the public about a similar email scam in February, and it appears that the fraudsters' campaign is evolving.

Edited by cressida

@cressida, it must be me, but if I got one of these texts, I wouldn't even bother reading it, even if I was expecting a parcel. Unless, of course I had ordered something from a supplier who specifically said they were sending it by RM , with that service - otherwise, how or why would the mail service know what my mobile number was?

I check now as to which carrier is delivering because the routine is always the same - due to Covid most knock on the door and leave the package in the porch,