Current Scams...

Regarding my other post.

Three have now sent out texts to its customers to be aware that this smishing scam is doing the rounds.

I've recently received several warnings from MBNA credit cards supposedly- yet I don't have an MBNA credit card.

Fortunately, none of my five email aliases on my current ISPs system have been affected by this (or any other type of spam), but they are (a) not publicly available and (b) not in the form of '[email protected]' - for instance.

The NHS is asking people to be vigilant about fake email invitations to have the covid vaccine. The scam email includes a link to register for the vaccine, but no registration for the real vaccine is required.  It then asks for bank details either to verify identification or to make a payment. 

I think most people know the NHS would never ask for bank details and the vaccine is free.

Car phone warehouse contacted me the other week. Offered me a top of range smartphone, I could choose, Apple, Samsung etc, for 40 pounds.

Apple I says? Yeah, iPhone 12 he says. Oh, can you sell in smaller quantities, I only need one, I have no need for 12. Also, 40 pounds? How big isn’t it? Isn’t that a bit heavy for a mobile phone?

I had a (to me, anyway) novel one today...

An email, stating that there was a 42 second "voice message notification", together with a little blue box saying "Play Vnote_*****.wav"

Apparently it's from Doris Taylor, at acceptances.me

Good ol' Doris.

Long time, never heard of....

Just had the scam call purporting to be from HMRC, the one alleging tax fraud and trying to get you to press 1. Second time I’ve had this, UK number 07241878365.

Received 2 telephone calls today.  Exactly same message  My internet will be cut off due to illegal activity, press one to talk to someone.   The caller was on 04792474027.

5 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

Received 2 telephone calls today.  Exactly same message  My internet will be cut off due to illegal activity, press one to talk to someone.   The caller was on 04792474027.

Always knew there was something dodgy about you.

Nobody phones me unless there after summat (usually money)

However I find these scams a welcome distraction from covid, at least I get to talk to someone.

So I'm prepared..

The phone rings this morning.

BRRING BRRING!

Hello, Mr Padders speaking, how are you,

Hi, I'm fine, my name's Geoff (Indian accent) can you tell me about an accident you had recently?

Oh, you mean the one I had on April 1st,

Yes, that's the one, can you tell me what happened,

Well I was driving to Manchester Airport in my Ford Fiesta, when I accidently took a wrong turn and finished up driving down runway 2, when suddenly a Boeing 747 appeared out of nowhere, I swerved to my left onto runway 3, only to be hit by the said Boeing coming into land,

Okay, and did you suffer any injuries,

Yes, I was killed,

pause, You were ? how can you be talking to me now,

Well, I got better.

HE HUNG UP.

Don't you just love em.

That's a classic, Padders. Pity I can't even be bothered to answer the phone to spammers these days, but you never know if it's just a voice activated recording, and they are no fun.

Although I have BT call blocker where I don’t have to talk to them at all I like to reply to the scammers “ Do you mind if I record this message for the Sheffield Fraud Squad ?”