Current Scams...

Warning Text Scam:

You get a Text from: "Royal Mail" (no logo)

'Your Package could not be delivered because you were not in. (I was in? Due to covid?)

please click on link for package details to be redirected etc...to Redeliver!

(I thought has everything ordered been delivered ? -YES)

Quite obviously A Scam to get your Details......so simple it might have WORKED?

We had a phone call from "Severn Trent" saying "we have an important announcement for you and to hear the message press 1" So I put the phone down. Later I rang my neighbour to tell them and they had, had the same call. So, they rang Severn Trent to tell them about it  and it was from them. I think they should change that way of alerting their customers.

3 hours ago, DeZeus said:

Warning Text Scam:

You get a Text from: "Royal Mail" (no logo)

'Your Package could not be delivered because you were not in. (I was in? Due to covid?)

please click on link for package details to be redirected etc...to Redeliver!

(I thought has everything ordered been delivered ? -YES)

Quite obviously A Scam to get your Details......so simple it might have WORKED?

I've had the email version of this - complete with realistic Royal Mail logo  and colouring.  Looked very realistic.  Would no-doubt catch a lot of people out.  Told postie, who said he'd heard of a lot of people getting it.

Somebody on the woodhouse group on facebook yesterday said theyd actually been sent a bank debit / credit card which they found odd, as theres didnt run out for 9 months so they rang the bank, and the bank said they didnt send them one.

Seems very sophisticated for a scam, making actual proper cards

59 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Somebody on the woodhouse group on facebook yesterday said theyd actually been sent a bank debit / credit card which they found odd, as theres didnt run out for 9 months so they rang the bank, and the bank said they didnt send them one.

Seems very sophisticated for a scam, making actual proper cards

A bit like Barclays Bank. When they first brought out Barclaycard they sent them out unsolicited to account holders and made a packet.

23 hours ago, cressida said:

Scam involving DPD,  callers phone and say they have a parcel for you and require updated details

I had an email equivalent of this today. Apparently sent from a scammer in Belgium [.be].

Had both text and email scams this week, royal mail text and DPD email.

DPD only requested a payment of £2.85 to release package, not much but times that by thousands and the scammer could earn quite alot... Plus they would get all your personal details.

WATCH OUT other couriers could be next to be used by scammers...

I've had a couple of emails recently claiming to be from Tesco and JustEat offering gift cards of differing amounts.

These were the first emails of this sort I have received where the sender address appears to be genuine (ie from contact@tesco.co.uk) however I was suspicious.

I looked at the header information in the email and they've both originated in Germany - scam!

I appreciate not everyone can examine header information but an easy way to check is to press reply and see where it's trying to send it - DO NOT SEND THOUGH!!! :) 

Have tried to show this in a screenshot - hope it helps :)

scam.jpg

Heard on the radio this morning that because many more are now shopping online, increasingly so up until Christmas, the cyber security unit of GCHQ, are for the first time, going to make adverts, warning the UK public of scams. 

I had a 'phone call this morning purporting to be from BT telling me that my internet would be turned off within 24 hours due to hacking activity. The number which showed up was a local one - 01142346856.

It's a scam number claiming to be from 

Sheffield. 

HMRC  but of course its a scam. 

Please beware, its covered on whocalledme. co. uk