Current Scams...

Odd one as I'm not sure if it is a scam..

Had an automated call saying I had 3 phone messages with one I have not listened to and to press 1 to hear it. Thing is I do not have a phone call package with my ISP and this is the first time this has ever happened, and I have the answer phone set to record after 3 rings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54055669

Brushing scams -

If you've ever received a parcel from a shopping platform that you didn't order, and nobody you know seems to have bought it for you, you might have been caught up in a "brushing" scam.

Edited by nikki-red

I got a call asking to speak to Mrs Joker.

There is no Mrs Joker, so I decide to play along.

"I'm John calling from <name of forgotten company>.  How are you today?"

Whaddyawant?

"Are you a homeowner, Mrs Joker?"

No, I'm a tenant, I lied

"What age group are you in?  31 to 40, 41 to 50, 51 to 60 or 61 to 70?"

That one.

"61 to 70?"

Yes, I lied again.

"You have a very deep voice for a woman in her 60s"

He's not daft, is he?

I hung up.

Cheeky bugger 🙄

On 23/06/2020 at 07:13, Baron99 said:

Beware of Amazon scams! 

Phone calls / emails from Amazon, Amazon Prime, Amazon Finance asking for additional money. 

Heard Toby Foster speaking with a pensioner who received a call from Amazon, asking for a yearly subscription.  The pensioner said they appeared to know all his details & he has had dealings with Amazon. 

They asked him to speak with Amazon Finance, which he did.  He's ended up having his bank account emptied of £4,000.  

He's informed his bank & they are looking into it & apparently they can trace the bank account where his money has been transferred too but the other bank are under no obligation to return the money? 

He might end up loosing the lot. 

Someone just tried to scam me. 

First they asked me if I shop with Amazon, I said I did. They then said that Amazon are going to debit £80 from my bank account, but to stop this they asked me to open something in Windows 'www.takesupport.us' . I was already skeptical so I asked the man for a telephone number for me to ring Amazon directly to discuss the issue further. He said 'It's not possible'. I then put the phone down.

I believe that by typing in a code to the computer, the person is giving the scammer remote access. I looked the internet to see if there have been similar scams, & there are loads.

So watch out people, thieves and scammers are preying on people. 

Interesting Scam, 

First you get a text from an unknown 5 digit number 

saying new Netflix number

Next day you get a notification Netflix were unable to get their Last months Payment 

and your access would be denied to their services?

All quite plausible (designed to get you worried)

Seemed less plausible as I was Watching Netflix at the time!

lower in the Text was a web-link to connect to (the scammers bank I'm sure)

Asking for updated details 

Which I certainly will not be filling in, I was thinking of Cancelling anyway!

nice try I thought....Be Alert..

Another nasty new one - to me, anyway -in the inbox this morning, reckoning that my McAfee security software has expired, and yes! I can renew simply by clicking this button and entering my payment details!

Fancy!

If you fancy bombarding the cretin in question, you can help fill his mailbox - linked to a well-known search engine beginning with G - by sending gigantic volumes of rubbish to sdcsdc.634164@...

The Coronavirus warning scam is around again.

My Mother is too Canny to be fooled & quickly phoned around her friends to tell them.

'You can take the Girl out of Scotland - but yer can't take the Scotland out the Girl'

Keep safe.

I just received an email, allegedly from Primark with a customer number saying I have been selected for an exclusive offer and to click on a link to a 30 second survey. I have only ever been in Primark once about 13 years ago and never bought anything so I would imagine it is some sort of scam. The email address is one of those full of numbers and letters, a bit like the ones that the scammers use when they are pretending to be from Paypal

Been bombarded by emails (about 15 in last 24 hours) supposedly from Amazon in USA saying I’d won an I phone and just needed to pay £4 postage. I expect I’d have to give card details for postage payment and then have my account ransacked 

No disrespect to anyone intended but how do some people get so many scams? I get the odd one obviously but it looks like some people are inundated! 😲

44 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

No disrespect to anyone intended but how do some people get so many scams? I get the odd one obviously but it looks like some people are inundated! 😲

It depends how you use emails. 

If you only use it for family and friends (and SheffieldForum of course), you are relatively safe, as very few people have access to it.  On the other hand, If you are on ebay or Amazon for instance, they give your details (inc email address) to people you buy from or sell to.  Any one of them could also be a scammer (or pass it on to a scammer).  Often, websites of companies get hacked, and people's details are compromised.  People relying on publishing their email contact details (eg for business) are far more likely to get scam contacts than most of us.

What can we do?  One thing is to have separate email addresses (or aliasses) for different uses.  That won't stop scammers, but if you get one you can narrow down where it came from and it only affect that set of contacts.