Current Scams...

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK @spider1 - I'll accept it works for you (a bit like my mobile), but I wouldn't touch SKY with a bargepole, for personal reasons.

Been with sky 20 years never had a problem 

My wife tapes programes to watch later and its so easy with sky 

Edited by spider1

Anyone had this one -

01462 528011
Type: Landlines (geographic)
💡 The overall rating for phone number 01462528011 is Neutral.There have been 33,925 phone lookups and 96 comments relating to 01462 528011. On this page: 14 Users rated it as Harassing, 3 Users rated it as Dangerous, 2 Users rated it as Safe and 1 User rated it as Unknown.The summary of detected keywords found in the reports is as follow: ee (10 times), scam (4 times), debt (1 time), spam (1 time). The location for 01462 is Hitchin (England). We noted in this area that there were 615,771 searches in total and that users have, so far, left 1,505 reports.

Never answered but they try regularly

I always say  all calls are traceable & recorded. As my husband works for south yorkshire police fraud squad. It works every time they just put the phone down. 

15 minutes ago, deej said:

I always say  all calls are traceable & recorded. As my husband works for south yorkshire police fraud squad. It works every time they just put the phone down. 

Note to self: Try this!

17 minutes ago, deej said:

I have never had a problem either getting them to hang up or hanging up myself.

I just got fed up with being woken up,or interrupted by the phone ringing throughout the day.

1 hour ago, deej said:

You mean you actually say that to them ? I will try that next time.

Yes i always say it. 

Any incoming numbers I don't recognise, then I don't usually answer the phone. If I do however, I don't say anything because I believe they are waiting for voice activation to continue the call.

Give it a try !

If someone is keen to talk to you, they will leave a message

3 hours ago, deej said:

There are a 1001 things you can say to make them put the phone down. The secret is to prevent it being necessary.

Most broadband/phone/tv packages offer a service that screens calls by asking the caller to identify themselves. I can't speak for other providers but with TalkTalk it's free. I haven't had a single nuisance call since I activated it about a year ago.

9 hours ago, Squimage said:

It is disheartening when you get a cold call that does cause some distress or anxiety even if you put the phone down straight away. 

Have a think about what you can do to remove that feeling using a new habit, like stand outside for 30 seconds and take in some fresh air, sniff some flowers.

I used to head to the fridge for some reason but out of that now after some adjustments.

I get real satisfaction from telling them to do something which I believe is physically impossible !

Until the situation is got under control, I view it as my responsibility to do what I personally can to protect others, when I can.

This not only takes the form of informing others of scams but also keeping the scummmers (not a spelling mistake!) on my telephone line as long as possible, as while they are on the phone to me, they are not scamming someone vulnerable. 

My current record is 3 hours and 5 minutes, I had set my target as 3 hours but could not resist 'a grand finale', resulting in my Nigerian cousin, screaming down the phone, 'You Mother ******!' when he realised that HE was the one who had been had. 

It also was amazing fun for me and my house guest (he was doubled over for most of the conversation and had to leave the room on more than one occasion, as he had to laugh out loud and didn't want the scammer to hear him) as I put the scammer on speaker phone. 

One of the most enjoyable elements of the call, was when I insisted on spelling everything out, as he had been doing, when I simply could not follow him 😉, using place names.  He would say, 'H for Holland', I think my favourite was 'H for Heeley Bottom'.  The grand finale, when he thought he was finally getting my email address, well.... I'll let you guess at what I spelled out but it involved, words starting with 'Frecheville', and 'Birley Carr'!  It was great to hear his utter incredulity and frustration but it would have been even better to have been able to see his face.

I speak really quietly so they have to ramp up the volume at their end, then blow a whistle down the phone.