Current Scams...

bad computer // best to go with sky talk used  to get 6 a day now none

Edited by spider1

1 minute ago, spider1 said:

Did you change your phone number at the same time?

Just now, RollingJ said:

Did you change your phone number at the same time?

no same number and lot cheaper than bt /    but bt engineers service sky

OK, in that case either Sky have better technology than BT, unlikely, as these scammers use autodiallers which don't know who your telephone service provider is, OR more likely you just fell off their lists, as I have done, having never even picked the receiver up if  the number is unknown - I still get the odd one, maybe three in six months, but I just ignore 'em as usual.

25 minutes ago, spider1 said:

If it  is Sky protect, they ask you to state your name, if you ignore this the call goes through anyway, my friend had sky I never stated my name and the call went straight to ringing

Had a call from this number, which I rejected  08000011312 Numari

5 hours ago, kay1 said:

If it  is Sky protect, they ask you to state your name, if you ignore this the call goes through an way, my friend had sky I never stated my name and the call went straight to ringing

No it doesnt phone rings you pick up  if you  want to let  it go through press star puts it on your through list so they can ring again 

Phone rings if a nuisance call press hash that  number can never ring again after about a week 

they all stop 

You can go on sky look at ring or barred list put em back on  if you want and also see who has called you last month  not had  a  nuisance call for 2 years  / so if your friend had pressed hash you couldnt ring again

I’m with telephone preference agency and have call blocker but still get scam calls. I’m familiar with the Amazon Prime one but got a different one this morning advising me my purchase of an I phone 11, cost £1100,, was on hold, press 1 to query order, press 2 to reject order. I put the phone down but no doubt either option would have necessitated providing my account details 

8 hours ago, catmiss said:

I’m with telephone preference agency and have call blocker but still get scam calls. I’m familiar with the Amazon Prime one but got a different one this morning advising me my purchase of an I phone 11, cost £1100,, was on hold, press 1 to query order, press 2 to reject order. I put the phone down but no doubt either option would have necessitated providing my account details 

Just give fake login credentials. e,g, A seriously long email address for login, and a 40 character string, all random characters, password. Could keep the ********* occupied for hours!

Just had a SMS text one apparently from paypal..

"A block was initiated on your services due to unusual traffic"

Visit xxxx user-secure-pp.com/?p=4 to lift the pending block on your services.

Needless to say I checked with paypal, no such block exists and they didn't send the message.

A friend has told me to be aware that url's containing hyphens are usually dodgy as most legit ones don't use them, not sure how true that is though.

And here's one that turned out to be not one, but I'll list it anyway in case anyone else gets a similar email!

Yesterday late morning - an email from BT to the account holder here.

Instantly suspicious, but everything appeared - and was - OK, even down to the correct BT account number, phone numbers (checked elsewhere first) and return email address, etc. etc.

The reason my attention was drawn to it was the heading - "We're sorry you're leaving us".

Eh?!

"Your line will cease at 2pm, 20 August as per your instructions."

Contacted them immediately, only to find that, at 9.17 yesterday morning, someone had contacted BT and told them that we were leaving BT for a competitor. I managed to reassure them that that wasn't the case, got the operative to void the cancellation order, and then started the obvious line of questioning...

Now before some smarty-pants on here claims that the above can't possibly be right, let me assure you that it's not something that Joe Public can do - for example, you can't have a grudge against a neighbour and get BT to pull their service out of spite - because you'll get the 3rd degree with security questions, account number, bill details, etc.

No - this was instigated by a competitor, and confirmed by BT - they get "quite a few from time to time..."

Virgin.

Some department at Virgin is the culprit.

Now consider this. I might not have seen/read the email. I might've been away from home for a few days.

I would've picked the phone up or tried to make a call after 2.01 pm tomorrow to discover "no line".

Accordingly, I've been expecting a call from Virgin bragging about their excellent service/deals, and (probably) saying that they have taken over BT's customers due to some business deal or other.

I defy them to call me, me knowing what I know now.

So be careful.

If you get an email with "Leaving BT: here's a summary of what happens and any charges" in the subject line, it isn't a scam in the usual sense...