Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Current Scams...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cressida said:

I received unsolicited clothing from China again,  I've not opened it but would cost me to return it - what's their game?

Be careful as one scam (usually involving high priced items) is that items deliberately get sent to the wrong address and then someone may call to say they have been delivered by mistake and need picking up. As they then get marked as being delivered the buyer does not get refunded. As usual if anyone gets in touch do not give out any personal information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

httphttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53690501

 

Holiday win was a scam

 

After Ms Richardson was told she'd won the holiday, the organisers asked for her and her partner's passport details.

"I asked them if I could take my kids could on the holiday," says Ms Richardson of Brighouse, West Yorkshire, who has three children, aged three, five and 13.

"They said no problem at all, but said it would cost £300 for each child, £900 in total. I thought it was worth it.

"They asked for my children's passport details but when I told them my children didn't have passports they said no problem at all.

"I had a feeling something was a little weird," she said.

She checked out the resort where the holiday prize was and discovered it was for adults only, so there was no way her kids could go.

So she contacted the travel company supposedly behind the prize only to be told they'd never heard of the competition.

"It was all a big scam to get our details and some cash out of us," Ms Richardson said.

Edited by cressida

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an automated phone call last week telling me I was being investigated for tax fraud and needed to press 1 to be connected to the investigator for further details. If I didn’t press1 a warrant would be issued immediately for my arrest. I put the phone down but was a bit shaken, my son rang 101 on my behalf and was told it was a scam and I would have been pressured for bank details had I continued the call. Despite this reassurance for a few days  I was jumpy at every knock at the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, catmiss said:

I had an automated phone call last week telling me I was being investigated for tax fraud and needed to press 1 to be connected to the investigator for further details. If I didn’t press1 a warrant would be issued immediately for my arrest. I put the phone down but was a bit shaken, my son rang 101 on my behalf and was told it was a scam and I would have been pressured for bank details had I continued the call. Despite this reassurance for a few days  I was jumpy at every knock at the door.

Sadly, there are plenty such scams around, and they can be very worrying.  You did the right thing in putting the phone down.  These scum prey on peoples worries, and even if a very small percentage of people fall for it, it makes it very lucrative for them, and a whole load of misery for the victims.  Well done for not falling for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It worries me in case an elderly person , living alone, with dementia gets involved in these scams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pattricia said:

It worries me in case an elderly person , living alone, with dementia gets involved in these scams.

Me too-The thought of being arrested really shook me up and, although I live alone, I am aware that scams exist and have the ability to enlist the support of family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Me too-The thought of being arrested really shook me up and, although I live alone, I am aware that scams exist and have the ability to enlist the support of family.

After a scam call I put the phone down then dial a special number from BT called Call Blocker. This blocks that call for good, but they just change their number, and ring another time. The main culprits are scam bank and Amazon  calls. I’m not even a customer of Amazon but the scammer still rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.