Current Scams...

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Starling are an online bank. 

I would consider contacting them (not by any link in the email) and just check to make sure someone isn't trying to open accounts with your details. 

Usually these keys are one time passwords to confirm identity and/or transactions

Thanks, I'll get their number online and see if we can find out what it's about.

EDIT: No chance by phone or online chat, I was forced to resort to my 'moan platform' commonly known as Twitter. An odd reply came back saying sorry it was our mistake! My Twitter account has nothing that could remotely link me to the phone number, which I didn't give them in the first place. Text deleted.

Edited by zach

Beware of Amazon scams! 

Phone calls / emails from Amazon, Amazon Prime, Amazon Finance asking for additional money. 

Heard Toby Foster speaking with a pensioner who received a call from Amazon, asking for a yearly subscription.  The pensioner said they appeared to know all his details & he has had dealings with Amazon. 

They asked him to speak with Amazon Finance, which he did.  He's ended up having his bank account emptied of £4,000.  

He's informed his bank & they are looking into it & apparently they can trace the bank account where his money has been transferred too but the other bank are under no obligation to return the money? 

He might end up loosing the lot. 

This is the one i had two days ago

Sun 21/06/2020 23:12




To:
  •  You

Greetings,

Dearest in the lord,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for using this medium to reach you for a transaction of this magnitude. I got your contact in your country business directory email database when I was searching on the internet and I came across your email contact details and decided to send you my divine charity task/proposal.

My Name is Mrs. Rosa Aimee Keller; I am 68 years old woman based in South Africa. I write to Relate to you of my intention to use my money $20.5 (Twenty Million and five Hundred Thousand United States dollars) for charity work in your country. I was married to Late Mr. Clinton Scott Keller who was a contractor with the Government of South Africa before he died in a Kenya Airways plane crashed in January 2000. You can see on the news online website.(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6627485.stm

I am a new Christian convert, suffering from long time cancer of the breast.

All indications from my doctors is showing that my conditions are really deteriorating very fast and it is quite obvious that I wouldn't live for longer, according to my doctors and in all indication regarding medical analysis. The cancer disease has gotten to a very bad stage and my hopes of recovering are very slim. In the 29 years of marriage life, still we could not bear a child, my late husband was very wealthy and after his death, I inherited some part of his business and money in the bank.

The doctors have advised me that I may not live for more than a year to two and warn me to stop thinking over who is going to inherit my money, today I have decided to donate and contribute to the less privileges, charity and orphanage homes. I want to know if I can trust you to use these funds for charity/orphanage and 30% will be for you as compensation. Please contact me, so that I will give you more details.

I will provide you more detailed information after knowing your willingness to handle this fund with fear of God. Please if you are willing to assist me Kindly contact my Lawyer. I already have discussed with the lawyer who will work with you concerning the transfer of the money feel free to contact him so that he can explain the transfer procedure to you directly.

Please if you are willing to assist me to carry out this task kindly send your contact details to my lawyer for Payment Details approval.

Just received this scam email, if you click on the link you have to confirm your email address but more importantly they want your password.

Dear Outlook User,

We are upgrading our EMAIL database at the moment so you are required to Upgrade your account as soon as possible in order to get the New Mail Features because you are using the old version of Outlook which will be Disabled in 24HRS.

CLICK HERE TO UPGRADE TO THE NEW VERSION NOW

All upgraded users will have an addition of 10GB to enjoy the new service

NB: FAILURE TO UPGRADE ONCE YOU RECEIVE THIS MAIL WILL LEAD TO EMAIL DEACTIVATION AND IT TAKES FEW HOURS TO GET THE UPGRADE COMPLETED.

THANKS.

OUTLOOK TEAM 

Don't click the links in the first place! You can do lots of fun stuff with JavaScript just with you visiting a malicious page.

Never click a link in an email unless you know where it's going to take you. Better still if the link doesn't pass any data for an offer etc, just go to the browser and go to the site manually.

On 12/04/2020 at 20:15, pintor said:

Just wondered if anyone else has received an @mail reputedly from Paypay saying your account has been limited?, Ive never used Paypal so wondered if it was genuine or or not

I've had a very similar one - the Subject being "Suspicious Activity".  It has the right logo and correct links at the end of the text , but the giveaway is that the "From" address and the "Login to Paypal" button did not have anything to do with PayPal.

It got past my security settings - so I'll have to review those now!

Maybe someOne with lots of time currently on their hands with the right skills or expertise in Java or C or jScript programming, could make a program or app which would easily  expose the vile scammers efforts via email, sadly I don't have this experience.

I'm sure it would be welcomed by the less technically knowledgeable in our community, they  might even pay for it!

On 25/02/2020 at 20:49, hauxwell said:

I remember reading a few years ago about Local Councils selling personal information from the electoral register to private companies. It makes you wonder it scammers buy a copy.

On 26/02/2020 at 12:52, max said:

Anyone can see the Open Electoral Register which is why you have the option to opt out when completing your entry. 

This problem is bound to get worse as businesses are being recommended to take names and contact details (reports vary - addresses, phone numbers, email addresses or all 3) of all customers to help with track and trace of anyone suspected of having Covid-19.  This information is like gold-dust to burglars and scammers of course, so take care......

Had one this morning and another just now.

First was a person trying to tell me I had a claim pending from a road accident I was involved in with my car... I don't drive or have a car.

Second was a recorded message apparently from Her Majesty's Tax Revenue Office stating I have a tax rebate due... I am retired and don't have any taxable income.

I never know what the now infrequent phone calls from numbers I either don't recognise, or spot as obvious fake numbers, are about - my policy is to ignore them. If they really need  to speak to ME, they can leave a message and I'll call back.

I now ask to be put through to their supervisor. When they ask why, I explain that they have called an unlisted MOD number and that using it is constitutes a breach of national security.

Strangely, I never get put through and the call ends swiftly.

Edited by max

Well just had another, must be my day. 

From Faken Car Accident Manchester.

"Hi how are you today. My name is Julie an I have been told you have been involved in a car accident recently which may not have been your fault so can you confirm some details?"

Me, nope as I don't own a car or drive... Phone goes dead, another for the spam list...... :hihi: