Current Scams...

On 25/05/2020 at 15:54, RollingJ said:

The strange thing, at least in my recent experience, is the spam phone calls all have a number,  although some of them are such obscure (or even non-allocated) area codes that they are easy to spot. If I'm actually in the room when the phone rings, I can almost check them in real time, if I'm bored enough to bother. :wink:

However, be aware that anyone anywhere can buy an out-of-area number.

So a Sheffielder can buy one that looks like it's in London but isn't.

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

However, be aware that anyone anywhere can buy an out-of-area number.

So a Sheffielder can buy one that looks like it's in London but isn't.

I am well aware, but the point I was trying to make was that a lot of these spam calls - usually, but not exclusively, originating on the Indian sub-continent, merely spoof the number with little or no knowledge of where the area code applies - like the one I had from 'Amazon' from Sark - I somehow don't think Amazon have a call centre there.

Watch out for scams emanating from the hack of Easyjet's data base in January which only came to light last week.  Details involving millions of customers who have booked flights for this year or the other holiday services Easyjet offer. 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/beatthescammers/article-8344743/Four-things-easyJet-breach-personal-details-risk.html

My wife & I booked a flight at the end of last year for a holiday in the autumn.  Received a genuine email from Easyjet the other day stating that hackers had got all our details with the exception of our passport details & credit card number.  So that's just our full names then, address details, dates of flight, destination & flight numbers.  Nice! 

Easyjet, in their apology email, warn me to be aware of phishing emails & to be aware of emails from sites that look as though they come from them & that they'll not contact me on this matter.  Considering I've had at least 1 email from Easyjet every day since I first booked a flight with them years ago, that's going to be bloody difficult. 

There's currently a lot of "You've won a [supermarket] £1000 voucher' spammers too.

Had one earlier on my mobile:

HMRC: you have a tax rebate available. Click here to calculate...  from gov-refunds.com

Blocked and reported.

Email from "HMRC" telling me  there is a tax rebate I can claim. Deleted.

Check on the. Barclays card fraud fighter tool to check if you're up to date with your own fraud fighting yourself! There is no obligation to obtain or buy a card!

Edited by DeZeus
:.

And so it begins!
Just to let you know these phone calls are going round.
‘Good morning, I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested postive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'
'Right. Um... so ....'
'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
'Ok (gives address)'
'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalise this and send the kit to you.'
'Sorry - a payment card? I though this was all free?'
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £50 for the kit, and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
'No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge.'
'I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Puts phone down.
This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.
Don't fall for it...! COPY and PASTE

Disturbing. What some people will stoop to...

And you're right - it's all so new, a few people might be duped, and have their entire account emptied.

Might be a good idea for the mods to make this a sticky, together with a suitable warning headline?

My wife said she took a phone call on the landline this afternoon from a foreigner in what sounded like a call centre. 

He told her that Amazon were owed £472 for over 2 months & that they were now taking legal action but they were giving us a last chance to pay. 

Not bad considering we've never bought anything involving Amazon?  She just put the phone down.

Had an odd text from Starling, not a clue who they are.

A quick Google says they are a bank of sorts. Not one I use so very odd they send me a 'security key' And they won't be getting any sort of reply.

Still not 100% if it's a scam. Curious if anyone else has had one.

Edited by zach

13 minutes ago, zach said:

Had an odd text from Starling, not a clue who they are.

A quick Google says they are a bank of sorts. Not one I use so very odd they send me a 'security key' And they won't be getting any sort of reply.

Still not 100% if it's a scam. Curious if anyone else has had one.

Starling are an online bank. 

I would consider contacting them (not by any link in the email) and just check to make sure someone isn't trying to open accounts with your details. 

Usually these keys are one time passwords to confirm identity and/or transactions