Current Scams...

A new nasty, received this morning.  Supposedly from PayPal, confirming £299.95 expenditure on some crypto currency. 

Usual cr4p, "might not show as a debit in your account for a number of days", and a overseas phone number to ring "in case there's a problem" with the transaction. As ever, the giveaway was their email details.

Forwarded to Paypal's spoof department.

All in all, nothing new to be wary/vigiliant about - same old, same old - except It addressed me by name in the email body.

I don't mean email address - I mean as a "greeting".

That's new to me, and is a bit more "sophisticated" (!) than most attempts.

23 hours ago, FoxLady said:

A new nasty, received this morning.  Supposedly from PayPal, confirming £299.95 expenditure on some crypto currency. 

Usual cr4p, "might not show as a debit in your account for a number of days", and a overseas phone number to ring "in case there's a problem" with the transaction. As ever, the giveaway was their email details.

Forwarded to Paypal's spoof department.

All in all, nothing new to be wary/vigiliant about - same old, same old - except It addressed me by name in the email body.

I don't mean email address - I mean as a "greeting".

That's new to me, and is a bit more "sophisticated" (!) than most attempts.

.... and scarier!

I get a regular email informing me that my order cannot be delivered because the deliverer cannot gain entry. 

'Nat West' tells me that my account there's been interfered with.

Odd, that, as I don't have any such account!

16 minutes ago, glitterballs said:

Here's an odd one, my mum sent a parcel to my niece, addressed correctly and on the returns mums post code and surname. later that evening she had a text on her mobile saying that not enough postage had been paid and to click the link to make payment, obviously she didn't.

Anyone else had this, I find it hard to believe it was random but can't explain it as the item was still in the system and not delivered until the next morning.

If your mum didn't put her mobile number on the parcel - how would RM know who to text? Pure coincidence, but scary just the same.

Amazon Prime scam rife circulating 

I got an Auto call yesterday saying my Amazon Prime account had expired - press one to call back

I don’t even deal with Amazon? Never Will!🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

15 minutes ago, DeZeus said:

Amazon Prime scam rife circulating 

I got an Auto call yesterday saying my Amazon Prime account had expired - press one to call back

I don’t even deal with Amazon? Never Will!🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

That pre-recorded, voice-activated auto scam has been around for well over a year.

is  this a new way of getting you to answer mobile, I have had 7 calls today just comes up as Private (no number). I never answer either land line or mobile if the caller is not in my call list unless I am expecting a call back from someone I have called.  Just wondered if they are trying to get round people ignoring their scam calls by not giving a number. anyone else had these Private?? calls.

Yes, regularly. I do the same as you and ignore. If it's anything important they will leave a message.

Recently been getting calls where an automated voice leaves a message saying I need to contact them about something or other. If it's anything genuine they will write to me if they can't get me by phone

2 minutes ago, kay1 said:

is  this a new way of getting you to answer mobile, I have had 7 calls today just comes up as Private (no number). I never answer either land line or mobile if the caller is not in my call list unless I am expecting a call back from someone I have called.  Just wondered if they are trying to get round people ignoring their scam calls by not giving a number. anyone else had these Private?? calls.

Unless you are expecting any calls to your mobile from say doctors/hospitals - who don't always display their number for 'privacy' reasons, I would say it is safe to ignore these calls.

3 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

Yes, regularly. I do the same as you and ignore. If it's anything important they will leave a message.

Recently been getting calls where an automated voice leaves a message saying I need to contact them about something or other. If it's anything genuine they will write to me if they can't get me by phone

Just to remind everyone:- If they leave a message claiming it's doctor/bank/whoever and say it's urgent, never reply to the number that made the call. Always look up the number elsewhere and call that.