Current Scams...

Scammers now demanding £1,000 to stop ringing,  then asked for £4,000+ -  woman went to the bank then realised it was a scam  -  why don't people change their phone numbers,  or leave their phone ringing out to cost the scammers?

Tree surgeons cut down six trees for one woman,  charged her £1,500 didn't cut the roots out,  just covered them with soil.

Edited by cressida

Hadn't seen that, but I don't have a call-blocker of any sort, other than the one in my head - if I am not expecting a call from an unrecognised number, I just let in go to voicemail - it auto-disconnects as soon as the answer machine kicks in, and once these scum realise you're unlikely to pick up, it's not long before your number is 'skipped' in the sequence. I've gone from 10+ a week before I read this useful info - somewhere, can't remember where because it was a couple of years back, to maybe two or three a month on the land-line and I've had maybe 10 on the mobile in the whole time I've had the number - 30+ years.

BTW - it was a spoof email, not a phone call.

Edited by RollingJ
Added comment.

I only answer if I recognize the number,  but I don't appreciate it if I'm in a café and someone from my surgery phones as everyone can hear what should be a private conversation,  that's when I can' find my glasses and has only happened a few times.

The phone is for my convenience.

1 hour ago, cressida said:

I only answer if I recognize the number,  but I don't appreciate it if I'm in a café and someone from my surgery phones as everyone can hear what should be a private conversation,  that's when I can' find my glasses and has only happened a few times.

The phone is for my convenience.

Agree, that’s why I don’t answer if I’m in a public place. 

Yes I never answer unless I know the number.

If its important they will leave a message,

Never had a scammer leave a message!

Worryingly scammers have found a way of making a message appear in a "string" that looks like it is from a legit number such as a bank!

Edited by Fudbeer

6 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Yes I never answer unless I know the number.

If its important they will leave a message,

Never had a scammer leave a message!

Worryingly scammers have found a way of making a message appear in a "string" that looks like it is from a legit number such as a bank!

Is this a text we're  talking? The only time my bank send me one of those is for 2FA and is instant when I log in on the PC, which I rarely do - all my banking these days is done on the iPad.

11 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Is this a text we're  talking? The only time my bank send me one of those is for 2FA and is instant when I log in on the PC, which I rarely do - all my banking these days is done on the iPad.

Yes basically scammers have found a way to text you and it adds it on to a previous text number you have received texts from making people think it’s from them when it’s not.

Just now, Fudbeer said:

Yes basically scammers have found a way to text you and it adds it on to a previous text number you have received texts from making people think it’s from them when it’s not.

Interesting - never seen that, but I've only had one scam text in the 30+ years I've had this mobile number, and it was a 'loner', i.e. not as a follow-on.

If I get a scammer on my landline, I always ask for Their telephone number first, and they cut me off instantly ! It’s the quickest way to get rid of them !

Just had a phishing  text supposedly from HSBC saying I authorised a payment of £240 to a Mr Jones and a link to click on with a HSBC URL. I don't even have an account with them, number blocked and reported as scam.

Also had two Royal Mail scam texts and a Lloyds scam text in last couple of weeks

Apparently I'm a criminal and a lawsuit is being enforced!! American female computer generated voice. (call) - Number blocked

I was involved in an accident and due lots of cash! (call) - Number blocked

Message from a bank with a link to click to get money back...yeah OK!! (Text message) - Reported to bank, number blocked, text deleted

Busy day for them yesterday!

UK National Census2021 Scams

I tried to find links to reports, but couldn't find online links any for some reason (my bad no doubt - presumably others can find and post some).  However,I've heard plenty on the radio and TV, so I thought a warning was in order.

Some scammers are apparently people knocking on doors, claiming to be Census Officers, saying you've filled it in incorrectly and they need to ask some questions to stop you getting charged (then they get as many details as they can before you spot the scam), or they try to charge you for correcting your "mistakes".

Others go round with forms saying you've not filled them in, so you need to fill it in now and pay a "late fee" to them as well (so they get cash and details).

Another method is by sending phishing emails, claiming to be from the Census Office, and requesting details/corrections.

Apparently, the Census Office and those acting for it will never contact you by email or telephone.

If you've done it online, you should not have anybody on your doorstep.  If you haven't filled it in (or received a form) by now, then I guess they will call with forms, but should leave them for you to fill in.