Current Scams...

Transformation for Veterans have got a charity number - 1141508 so I think they should be ok 😀

I've read and seen a lot in the papers about scum who produce genuine-looking bags and literature, then collect stuff and sell it with zero going to charities - also others who see bags left out and collect them before the genuine people turn up.

A few months ago, I decided to check up on a charity that wanted to collect clothing.  I looked up the charity name, noted the phone number on the bag was the same as the one on their website, then rang to see if they were collecting in my area at the time.  They were happy to confirm that they were, and their van would have their livery.  Happy that they were legit, I put my bags out. 

Sadly, no-one collected from my side of the street (they had the other side!), so I collected them back in the next day and put them in a supermarket recycling bin instead!

Beware everyone of tree surgeon scammers working in sheffield...

My neighbour was ripped off last week by two men who cut down and removed approx 6 small conifer trees. They spent approx 3 hours doing work, didn't dig up roots just covered with soil and charged her £1,500.00..

Do research online and get at least 3 written quotes... 

People selling Xbox Series X and Sony PS5 consoles on eBay for up to double the RRP! :rant: 

And what's worse is that due to increasingly high demand for these consoles, folk are daft enough to pay these over inflated prices! :loopy:

Edited by MrAllen2K21

2 minutes ago, MrAllen2K21 said:

People selling Xbox Series X and Sony PS5 consoles on eBay for up to double the RRP! :rant: 

And what's worse is that due to increasingly high demand for these consoles, folk are daft enough to pay these over inflated prices! :loopy:

Not really that kind of 'scams' this topic is aimed at, @MrAllen2K21-we are talking about the phone/email muppets who claim to be Amazon//HMRC/The Post Office &c.

4 minutes ago, MrAllen2K21 said:

That’s not a scam tho is it. People are getting the item they’re paying for,

They know how much it’s costing them, know it’s over the odds but agree to pay it. 

10 hours ago, nikki-red said:

That’s not a scam tho is it. People are getting the item they’re paying for,

They know how much it’s costing them, know it’s over the odds but agree to pay it. 

Not all the time, some people have reported getting Breeze blocks in an Xbox box! :rant:

A delivery I was expecting from royal mail did not turn up got a text to ask me to re arrange delivery the link had the post office app attached.

Was a scam but very convincing.

I used to ignore emails supposedly from R Mail, as I'd never given them an email address, then they sent an email to tell me when they were going to deliver something I'd ordered on ebay.  I then realised that this one was genuine, and that ebay forwarded the buyers email address to sellers as a matter of course (still not sure why as ebay say all communication should be via ebay).  Now I have to check each email allegedly from Royal Mail in case it is real!

Something similar, I’ve had a couple of texts from ‘delivery’ claiming they’ve tried to deliver my parcel and asking for a fee to redeliver

As a general rule, the authenticity of of an email/text with link can be checked by examining the web-address - if it is anything other than 'royalmail.com , it is not genuine.

Note for any Amazon customers: I have just this afternoon received an email from '[email protected]' threatening to suspend my account if I didn't follow a link and update my details.

Fortunately, I never download these directly - they are all filtered through 'Mailwasher' first, so any suspicious ones get deleted direct from the server  -BUT- normally these are doubly easy to spot as the sending source is not what it claims, and MW highlights the discrepancy. However, somehow this spam used the correct domain in the sender field and it didn't get picked up.

Fortunately, they sent it to one of my old Tiscali addresses which I never used on Amazon anyway, so even though it wasn't 'flagged' I was suspicious, checked the full header and it actually originated from a 'br' - Brazilian - server - for Amazon.co.uk - really????

For info the actual sending address was '[email protected]'

Edited by RollingJ
added info