Current Scams...

Text this afternoon supposedly from Lloyds bank confirming successful addition of payee to my account. The text directed me to a website ‘Lloyds secure’ if I hadn’t added the payee -I didn’t use the link. My, not Lloyds, bank account looked ok but I rang my bank’s fraud line anyway and they confirmed it was a scam with the link requesting my account details so they could investigate a fraudulent payee

9 hours ago, Linda77 said:

Just a quick question. I got a phone call from NHS but I refused confirmation of my details as it could be anyone really for example an identity thief...  I am curious if it possible to spoof an NHS number?

@Linda77As  Thirsty Relic says, it could be scam, unfortunately the lowlifes are using the current situation to their advantage, but did they say what it was about?

12 hours ago, Linda77 said:

Just a quick question. I got a phone call from NHS but I refused confirmation of my details as it could be anyone really for example an identity thief...  I am curious if it possible to spoof an NHS number?

The safest way to deal with an incoming call which might just be genuine - for instance, if they're asking you to confirm a reference number - is to consider that they already know what the information is, and who you are, otherwise they wouldn't be ringing.

In that case, agree with them that you'll give (say) 2/3 letters or numbers and make them confirm the others.

Any errors, then put the phone down.

If it's a genuine call, it serves two purposes - it proves to you that they say who they are, and proves to them that they haven't mis-dialed the wrong person.

Same if your address is requested - give them partial information, but insist they give you the rest.

If they refuse, or are unable to complete, cut 'em off.

Edited by RiffRaff

Since it's happened twice now I'll post it up.

Be on your guard with overseas parcels that you're expecting. 

My last two parcels I've had coming from mainland Europe have come with a scam text message from the same UK mobile number (O2 in origin, starting 07927 & ending 264)

The latest was yesterday, tracking shows customs cleared overnight & then around mid-day the scam message has arrived. Claims to be an international parcel handling centre and a customs charge needs to be paid for the item to continue. 

This was identical to the first time too. Luckily my phone identified the number as a possible scam so I disregarded it (well I opened the link on a sandboxed browser)

The message reads:

Hi There - Your parcel has been held at our shipping centre. Please follow instructions here [web address redacted]

The website is in french (but offers an English version). The domain is french registered. 

Have our nearest neighbours decided we're now a target?

@ResidentI'm assuming you received your parcels OK? In which case, someone's IT system has been hacked - as the site is French, I'm guessing the leak is over the Channel, rather than this side.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

@ResidentI'm assuming you received your parcels OK? In which case, someone's IT system has been hacked - as the site is French, I'm guessing the leak is over the Channel, rather than this side.

I've got the first one and the second one is in the UK with Parcel Force, being delivered to my local post office today as I wasn't sure I was gonna be in & our post office is an independant that will take parcels in at no charge, though I always chuck a quid into the tin for the charity they support. 

It might be partly my fault. I added my mobile number to the customs declaration so that in the event of charges they can call me directly. Speeds up the process immensely not having to wait for the card through the door. 

6 minutes ago, Resident said:

I've got the first one and the second one is in the UK with Parcel Force, being delivered to my local post office today as I wasn't sure I was gonna be in & our post office is an independant that will take parcels in at no charge, though I always chuck a quid into the tin for the charity they support. 

It might be partly my fault. I added my mobile number to the customs declaration so that in the event of charges they can call me directly. Speeds up the process immensely not having to wait for the card through the door. 

Might not even be a 'hack' then - just some opportunist individual with access to that data - which again points to our Gallic cousins. Have you tried to identify the 'owner' of the site?

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Might not even be a 'hack' then - just some opportunist individual with access to that data - which again points to our Gallic cousins. Have you tried to identify the 'owner' of the site?

"Private Individual" so registrar protected info. 

I've reported the site to the host provider and registrar service. It's probably more organised than just a single individual. I know I'm not the only one to declare a mobile number for customs. In fact some sellers I've dealt with in the past have requested it because, as said, speeds up the delivery process, plus RM don't get to add £12.50 "admin & handling fees".

12 minutes ago, Resident said:

"Private Individual" so registrar protected info. 

I've reported the site to the host provider and registrar service. It's probably more organised than just a single individual. I know I'm not the only one to declare a mobile number for customs. In fact some sellers I've dealt with in the past have requested it because, as said, speeds up the delivery process, plus RM don't get to add £12.50 "admin & handling fees".

Ah - so it is a fiddle, then. That's all we need to know.

I received a convincing looking e mail from the Royal Mail saying that they had been unable to deliver my parcel due to incomplete address.

The link asked for my full address and payment of £3 for re delivery,to be paid by giving card number plus account number plus sort code.

Don’t fall for it.

I took a copy to the local sorting office who confirmed it was a phishing e mail that they had not come across,although similar text messages were common.

3 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I received a convincing looking e mail from the Royal Mail saying that they had been unable to deliver my parcel due to incomplete address.

The link asked for my full address and payment of £3 for re delivery,to be paid by giving card number plus account number plus sort code.

Don’t fall for it.

I took a copy to the local sorting office who confirmed it was a phishing e mail that they had not come across,although similar text messages were common.

Always ask yourself ... "How would they know my email address?"

I received a similar one by text. Don't know whether it was coincidence but I was actually expecting a parcel. Anyway, I ignored and deleted the text and the parcel arrived the next day. Today I've had a call from 'Amazon Prime' asking had I renewed my membership because they noticed the monthly fee had been taken out of my bank. If I have them my details they would reimburse me. Again, I'd just bought something from Amazon. I put the phone down on the caller and checked my bank. Nothing had been taken out. It's worrying that these con artists seem to be aware of everything we do.