Current Scams...

Another good plan, @pattricia, but sadly too many of these pains in the posterior are just recordings, so it's not worth answering them - in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Padders said:

Nobody phones me unless there after summat (usually money)

However I find these scams a welcome distraction from covid, at least I get to talk to someone.

So I'm prepared..

The phone rings this morning.

BRRING BRRING!

Hello, Mr Padders speaking, how are you,

Hi, I'm fine, my name's Geoff (Indian accent) can you tell me about an accident you had recently?

Oh, you mean the one I had on April 1st,

Yes, that's the one, can you tell me what happened,

Well I was driving to Manchester Airport in my Ford Fiesta, when I accidently took a wrong turn and finished up driving down runway 2, when suddenly a Boeing 747 appeared out of nowhere, I swerved to my left onto runway 3, only to be hit by the said Boeing coming into land,

Okay, and did you suffer any injuries,

Yes, I was killed,

pause, You were ? how can you be talking to me now,

Well, I got better.

HE HUNG UP.

Don't you just love em.

🤣

On 06/01/2021 at 12:43, RollingJ said:

You ain't the only one suffering from TT's abysmal security - I left them 9 years ago- just after (i think) the second time they had a breach after taking over the Tiscali brand and accounts. I still have a couple of Ticali addresses I keep for convenience and still get the spam.

I once had Talktalk's own technical department try to scam me -After complaining about a problem to their tech dept was told I was entitled to a £25 refund . Please supply bank details and mobile phone  no . As I pay by  DD they allready had bank  details and couldn't give a decent answer why they needed my mobile no

On 06/01/2021 at 12:43, RollingJ said:

. I still have a couple of Ticali addresses I keep for convenience and still get the spam.

I’ve just left (in Dec) TalkTalk  having previously been with tiscali. Do they still let  you receive emails without payment ? I thought they pulled the plug after a couple of months .

2 minutes ago, Mossway said:

I’ve just left (in Dec) TalkTalk  having previously been with tiscali. Do they still let  you receive emails without payment ? I thought they pulled the plug after a couple of months .

Well, I left them (TalkTalk) nine years ago and can still receive mail on the two Tiscali (and 1 TinyWorld) addresses I had, but I don't get much - (other than spam) on them - and certainly don't know if I can send on them, although I suspect I could, using webmail.

"Your NI number has been compromi.............."

Recorded message to mobile this morning.

The above is as far as they got before I hit the button.

1 minute ago, RiffRaff said:

"Your NI number has been compromi.............."

Recorded message to mobile this morning.

The above is as far as they got before I hit the button.

Another of their current favourites. :wink:

When will they try something really believable - and stop using voice-activated recordings - which give them away as fake?

44 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Another of their current favourites. :wink:

When will they try something really believable - and stop using voice-activated recordings - which give them away as fake?

The worry is the folk who do think them believable.

Who knows?

1 in 10,000?

1 in 100?

Must be enough for the scammers to keep going, whatever the number.

They need visiting with a few baseball bats!

6 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

The worry is the folk who do think them believable.

Who knows?

1 in 10,000?

1 in 100?

Must be enough for the scammers to keep going, whatever the number.

They need visiting with a few baseball bats!

I agree it is a worry re the number who do believe them, despite the numerous warning on many consumer sites, bank sites, news sites...

Dunno what the ratio is, but it is obviously high enough for our Indian sub-continent friends to find it worthwhile, although as the recording and VoIP costs are so low, they need less believers than when they had to make physical calls.

Travel -with or without baseball bats - to Mumbai is it a little difficult presently. 😀

Just a quick question. I got a phone call from NHS but I refused confirmation of my details as it could be anyone really for example an identity thief...  I am curious if it possible to spoof an NHS number?

6 minutes ago, Linda77 said:

Just a quick question. I got a phone call from NHS but I refused confirmation of my details as it could be anyone really for example an identity thief...  I am curious if it possible to spoof an NHS number?

Yes - it's possible to spoof any number, even from abroad. 

I know people who have had scam calls that look local to them - all the scammers do is get their computers to randomly dial a number and spoof a number with only the last 2 or 3 digits different.  The call looks local, but isn't.