Current Scams...

Today's attempt at extracting cash has concentrated on telling me again that my McAfee AV - which I don't have anyway - has expired.

A really amateur attempt, that I don't think anyone would/could fall for.

It even lists the sender's name as "Mc  Fee" and gives a gmail address!

I mean, come on!

I'm tempted to bombard it using one of these 10-Minute email address jobs!

Scam email for Microsoft Office, received two yesterday and one this morning not Microsoft  but from velzboerguatemalan@gmail.com.

anyone else received similar. I am with Talk Talk and have been receiving scam emails since TalkTalk were scammed a couple of years ago.

24 minutes ago, BTC43 said:

Scam email for Microsoft Office, received two yesterday and one this morning not Microsoft  but from velzboerguatemalan@gmail.com.

anyone else received similar. I am with Talk Talk and have been receiving scam emails since TalkTalk were scammed a couple of years ago.

You ain't the only one suffering from TT's abysmal security - I left them 9 years ago- just after (i think) the second time they had a breach after taking over the Tiscali brand and accounts. I still have a couple of Ticali addresses I keep for convenience and still get the spam.

Another email for Microsoft Office '17 .27 today same as before but this time from> r.i.verwallabyhanken @gmail.com

into trash bin

is this a new scam from mobile number 7990 8225 NATWEST ALERT a payment was attempted from a new device on 8th jan if this was not you visit |(gives web site) I dont even bank with Natwest delete button pressed

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

is this a new scam from mobile number 7990 8225 NATWEST ALERT a payment was attempted from a new device on 8th jan if this was not you visit |(gives web site) I dont even bank with Natwest delete button pressed

It (the scam) has been around for a while, but most of the reports say the text comes from Lloyds - first mention of NatWest I've seen.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

It (the scam) has been around for a while, but most of the reports say the text comes from Lloyds - first mention of NatWest I've seen.

I have had phone calls saying £200 has been  withdrawn and  sent to overseas account (no mention of Lloyds) but this is the first text I have received w here do they get mobile numbers from? I always try and avoid giving mobile number to anyone apart from friends and family

Really appalling case on the news of an elderly person paying £160 for a ‘Covid’ jab. Some lowlife turned up and ‘injected’ , with who knows what, this vulnerable person in return for payment. Thankfully the individual seems ok but I hope the CCTV helps the police trace the perpetrator and he gets suitable punishment 

10 hours ago, kay1 said:

I have had phone calls saying £200 has been  withdrawn and  sent to overseas account (no mention of Lloyds) but this is the first text I have received w here do they get mobile numbers from? I always try and avoid giving mobile number to anyone apart from friends and family

@kay1 They don't 'get' the numbers from anywhere as such, merely set an autodialler to ring a sequence of numbers, such as '07xx xxx xxxx' to '07zz zzz zzzz' and some people will pick up, even if they don't know the calling number - and then possibly fall for the scam. The advice is always to ignore an unknown number - if they need to talk to you, the caller can always leave a message, and you can decide if it is worth returning the call.

Most of these autodiallers will hang up as soon as your voicemail message kicks in.

Not had this one before, says its from Three network...

"We could not process this months payment please update your details at sso.three.co.uk/mylogin etc....

I had the HMRC scam text today saying I am due a refund.

My wife received an e-mail this week supposedly from HSBC saying her account had been compromised and to click on the link to contact them. She works near Meadowhall so popped into the branch there to show it to them. They said it was very convincing and took a photo of it for their security people.