Current Scams...

On 04/12/2020 at 11:44, whiteowl said:

I've had a couple of emails recently claiming to be from Tesco and JustEat offering gift cards of differing amounts.

These were the first emails of this sort I have received where the sender address appears to be genuine (ie from [email protected]) however I was suspicious.

I looked at the header information in the email and they've both originated in Germany - scam!

I appreciate not everyone can examine header information but an easy way to check is to press reply and see where it's trying to send it - DO NOT SEND THOUGH!!! :) 

Have tried to show this in a screenshot - hope it helps :)

scam.jpg

But the real Tesco uses https://www.tesco.com/

(i.e. 'com', not '.co.uk')

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But the real Tesco uses https://www.tesco.com/

(i.e. 'com', not '.co.uk')

Fair comment, but as I don't actually know the primary domain name of every company on the Internet I did said "appears". Normally you can spot them a mile off by just looking at the email address, this time it wasn't so clear.

When an email says it comes from something like Tesco <[email protected]> then that's pretty easy to spot. When it says it comes from Tesco <[email protected]> that's a bit more ambiguous.

36 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Fair comment, but as I don't actually know the primary domain name of every company on the Internet I did said "appears". Normally you can spot them a mile off by just looking at the email address, this time it wasn't so clear.

When an email says it comes from something like Tesco <[email protected]> then that's pretty easy to spot. When it says it comes from Tesco <[email protected]> that's a bit more ambiguous.

Just a general comment really, but unless you have given a company (in this case Tesco, but it could be any other) your email address, it should ring alarm bells anyway.

7 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Just a general comment really, but unless you have given a company (in this case Tesco, but it could be any other) your email address, it should ring alarm bells anyway.

Agreed, but I do have an account with Tesco for deliveries /shrug

This scam had been on the news.  

Fraudsters have been posing as well known delivery companies, sending emails saying they have not been able to deliver goods and then asking for a fee to rearrange the delivery.

They then ask for your bank detail which they use to extract money.

1 minute ago, hauxwell said:

This scam had been on the news.  

Fraudsters have been posing as well known delivery companies, sending emails saying they have not been able to deliver goods and then asking for a fee to rearrange the delivery.

They then ask for your bank detail which they use to extract money.

No carriers work like that - most will make two or three attempts to deliver, and then leave a card advising you to collect from the local depot, or contact them to arrange delivery on a specified date, or possibly an alternative location. But I agree, before anyone shouts, not everyone will necessarily know that.

On 04/12/2020 at 12:32, max said:

I had a 'phone call this morning purporting to be from BT telling me that my internet would be turned off within 24 hours due to hacking activity. The number which showed up was a local one - 01142346856.

I've had 3 calls now claiming to be BT, saying that my broadband has faults etc affecting it, Indian sounding guy who answers after a long pause & you can hear loads of background noise,  I asked him what my BT account number was that he wanted to know about, I said I could hardly tell what he said & hung up

On 04/12/2020 at 12:32, max said:

I had a 'phone call this morning purporting to be from BT telling me that my internet would be turned off within 24 hours due to hacking activity. The number which showed up was a local one - 01142346856.

I had this recorded message with the additional ‘fraudulent use’ claim. I just put the phone down. The scammers must be getting better results by using the term ‘fraud’ as more of them seem to include it in their scam dialogue 

10 hours ago, catmiss said:

I had this recorded message with the additional ‘fraudulent use’ claim. I just put the phone down. The scammers must be getting better results by using the term ‘fraud’ as more of them seem to include it in their scam dialogue 

It was more that they were using a number local to Stannington I was warning about.

I’ve had calls in the past from scammers saying they are from Amazon, but this call said that if I did not pay my yearly subscription to Amazon Prime my account would be cancelled. As I’m not with Amazon Prime I cut him off , and blocked his number, but just be careful if you are with Amazon Prime and this chap rings you. Mind you that’s if you can understand what he’s saying as he has a terrible foreign accent. You can also hear other callers in the background. When I told him I would look further into it, he told me to <removed> off !

Edited by nikki-red

Received an email purporting to be from Royal Mail saying a parcel is on its way from online seller SWTL,  I think it could be a scam, has anyone received an email or text message?

Not sure what to do if the parcel is left at the door.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5675332/unexpected-parcel-scam/p2

Edited by cressida

@cressidaMy suggestion, if the parcel is left at your door - it may not even exist, btw, - is to return it unopened to the sender. If, however, they try to hand it to you, just refuse delivery. You haven't ordered it, don't want it, so they can take a jump.