Current Scams...

7 hours ago, whiteowl said:

No disrespect to anyone intended but how do some people get so many scams? I get the odd one obviously but it looks like some people are inundated! 😲

If you've not opted out of SCC's 'Open register' when you fill in your details for the Electoral Roll, at any point then a lot of your details are free for any third party to buy for starters.  As far as I can see, this also includes your contact details. 

Additionally, how many times do people just tick the little box a the box at the bottom of the  long list of a company's T&C's when buying something or willingly just give their email address away for some reason without asking how that company or individual intends to keep or use your email address in the future? 

I bought something from Debenhams yesterday & as I was being served the assistant asked me for my email address so that she could email my receipt details to me?  Why would I want that when she was just about to hand me a paper receipt?  I just said "No thanks."  If I had, no doubt I'd start being bombarded with Debenhams advertising in a few days? 

I was still in the area when the next couple were purchasing something & were as asked the same question?  Without hesitation, the bloke just went "Oh it's ??!?!!@yahoo."

So the more you put your personal details out there, including all the social media details, the more chance you have being contacted by both the genuine companies & the scammers trying it on.  You wouldn't just give your home address details if stopped by a stranger in the street?  

Edited by Baron99

Yea, I get scam emails almost daily to one of my email accounts. Generally just delete the lot in one go without paying much aattention. If it's an email supposedly from a company I deal with and I'm not sure if it's genuine or not I will telephone them on a number I know to be a genuine one for their business and check with them. If its any claim of an unpaid bill or something like that I know if its genuine they will follow it up in the post if they don't hear from me and I've deleted their emails as spam. 

17 hours ago, whiteowl said:

No disrespect to anyone intended but how do some people get so many scams? I get the odd one obviously but it looks like some people are inundated! 😲

Mentioned this before, but worth a repeat,  I guess...

Many of these scam emailers use email addresses obtained after data breaches in certain companies - you'll remember the big one affecting Talk Talk customers, for example.

There's a site available where you can check to see if your own email address has been 'nicked', and if it appears, which web site has been successfully hacked in order for it to appear.

It's definitely worth a view.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

20 hours ago, whiteowl said:

I get scam mails from scammers saying it is from PayPal, I just  forward it to PayPal every time I get one, then delete the mail Sometimes they acknowledge the mail and give a case number.

On 01/10/2020 at 23:41, whiteowl said:

I’ve  been more or less shielding for the last seven months so have had to do far more internet shopping than I ever did which is why I think I’m getting more scam emails/calls. There’s always someone out there willing to take advantage

I have had a scam txt message this morning. It was from my local hospital saying I have a booking for a mri scan. I could txt back yes, no or rearrange (all the same number). I do go for a scan around this time of year but something told me this was a scam. Probably it was because it was from a mobile number. I checked the number on line and found out it was used for NHS scam and it said not to txt the numbers as they charge a lot. What concerns me is these scammers knew about my hospital details and they have my number.

I got the Santander one mentioned ages ago on this thread just the other day. (Thanks for the heads up forummer👍) Didn’t even look, straight to delete. Needless to say, I don’t bank with Santander and never click on unknown links. Stay smart and safe people!

Wow, maybe I spoke to soon. Been getting Paypal/Amazon scam emails through thick and fast in the last couple of days.

Stay safe guys.

37 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Wow, maybe I spoke to soon. Been getting Paypal/Amazon scam emails through thick and fast in the last couple of days.

Tap your email address into  this site - https://haveibeenpwned.com/ - scroll down, and see if some outfit that has your details has been hacked.

Some organisations have had literally millions of contact details 'stolen' - even bank details in some cases.

Edited by RiffRaff

Just now, RiffRaff said:

Tap your email address into  this site, scroll down, and see if some outfit that has your details has been hacked.

Some organisations have had literally millions of contact details 'stolen' - even bank details in some cases.

The was no link but I assume you mean the haveIbeenpwned site. Have used it before , still only listed on 4 breaches, the last one a year ago.

I'm tempted to do what someone suggested on here years ago. Purchase my own domain and set up a mail server. Whenever a company wants an email give them their company name @mydomain.com.

For example if Currys want an email address, I'd give them [email protected] - just interested where the spam comes from.

16 hours ago, whiteowl said:

The was no link but I assume you mean the haveIbeenpwned site. Have used it before , still only listed on 4 breaches, the last one a year ago.

I'm tempted to do what someone suggested on here years ago. Purchase my own domain and set up a mail server. Whenever a company wants an email give them their company name @mydomain.com.

For example if Currys want an email address, I'd give them [email protected] - just interested where the spam comes from.

(Inserted the link at the same time you replied!)

You say "still only listed on 4 breaches" - don't forget that these lists go round the houses, being sold on time and time again, so the amount of time since XYZ was breached doesn't really matter.

Yes, your idea about your own domain is a good one - how often do we see "we will never pass your details on to any 3rd party", and unfortunately you have to take it on trust.

I caught a well-known department store chain out a few years ago - I'd given the correct email address, but had deliberately mis-spelled my surname which has a "w" in it, as opposed to two u's I'd printed.

A few weeks afterwards, I received mail from a  3rd party with my surname featuring the two u's....