Current Scams...

Checked my @mail this morning and had one ,supposedly from Netflix,  saying my account etc was being closed, please tick the box below to continue subscribing (or words to this effect), I've  never had or signed up to have Netflix,  so blocked message and deleted. The @mail address it came from had foreign sounding names in it, please be wary!

Edited by pintor

Two calls over the last two days.

First - Female English accent, Hello (long pause) my name is... (long pause) about the accident you were involved in. Hang up and block number

Second (Today) Male American accent, Hello, this is Her Majesty's. That was as far as that one got before I ended the call and blocked the number.

Same message as pointed out many times on this thread. Hang up and block the number if possible. NEVER press any numbers or follow any instructions etc.

Had a bit of fun yesterday. Was called about my “accident”, I went along with it for quite a while, I could tell she was excited thinking she’d really caught one. She asked how many people were involved and were there any minors.  When I told her no one works down the pits anymore she put the phone down on me.   How rude!

7 minutes ago, joojoo said:

Had a bit of fun yesterday. Was called about my “accident”, I went along with it for quite a while, I could tell she was excited thinking she’d really caught one. She asked how many people were involved and were there any minors.  When I told her no one works down the pits anymore she put the phone down on me.   How rude!

Nice one, joojoo.🤣

There is good advice from many different people on this here, so I am pretty confident that the authors are not likely to be  sucked in - but could I suggest that we all make sure those we hold dear are all very well aware of the scams as well. 

If someone close to one of us was to fall prey to one of these scammers and we hadn't repeatedly warned them of the different scams, imagine how we would feel......

On the positive side, thanks to all contributors - there are probably many others who read these posts who are as a result better placed to answer such calls as a result of your efforts on this thread.

Just had the weirdest voicemail  telephone call, claiming that I had defrauded the HMRC, click one to Talk to an adviser, I just......Laughed

Surely they would have sent me a letter? First....

Quite obviously a scam of some description....

Secondly when your retired you don't pay any TAX, So how could a retired person defraud the HMRC, seems impractical.

Then hung up!

2 hours ago, DeZeus said:

Secondly when your retired you don't pay any TAX, So how could a retired person defraud the HMRC, seems impractical.

Then hung up!

Oh yes you do, if your income crosses the tax threshold .

6 hours ago, Mossway said:

Oh yes you do, if your income crosses the tax threshold .

Yes, I should have paid tax on my NHS pension I had to take at 60 as I was no longer employed by them but still working for another organisation. I paid PAYE on my main employment and yearly communication from NHS told me any tax due was deducted at source. 3 years later HMRC hit me with a tax bill in the thousands.  I appealed and communication between was found to be at fault. The ‘HMRC’ fraud call I received could have easily conned me.

Had another HMRC fraud call today so might might still have warrant for my arrest. Going to bed in best jammies just in case

I have received an email  from jenservice@hotmail.co.uk encouraging me to pay via their website by 8 September for a TV licence.  I would say, without a doubt, that it's a scam, There are a few around,  but what I am wondering is what has happened to the official request for licence fee, which we were told would be sent out by post in August?  No sign, as yet.

1 hour ago, florence kat said:

I have received an email  from jenservice@hotmail.co.uk encouraging me to pay via their website by 8 September for a TV licence.  I would say, without a doubt, that it's a scam, There are a few around,  but what I am wondering is what has happened to the official request for licence fee, which we were told would be sent out by post in August?  No sign, as yet.

It's a scam - TV Licencing  wouldn't use a hotmail address.

As to the postal reminder - no idea.

On 03/09/2020 at 16:48, DeZeus said:

Then hung up!

your State pension is not taxed a at source so HMRC deduct it from your work pension, if as de Zeus said  it's above the threshold

Believe me, I know!

Edited by davyboy