Current Scams...

1 hour ago, cressida said:

I received unsolicited clothing from China again,  I've not opened it but would cost me to return it - what's their game?

Be careful as one scam (usually involving high priced items) is that items deliberately get sent to the wrong address and then someone may call to say they have been delivered by mistake and need picking up. As they then get marked as being delivered the buyer does not get refunded. As usual if anyone gets in touch do not give out any personal information.

httphttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53690501

Holiday win was a scam

After Ms Richardson was told she'd won the holiday, the organisers asked for her and her partner's passport details.

"I asked them if I could take my kids could on the holiday," says Ms Richardson of Brighouse, West Yorkshire, who has three children, aged three, five and 13.

"They said no problem at all, but said it would cost £300 for each child, £900 in total. I thought it was worth it.

"They asked for my children's passport details but when I told them my children didn't have passports they said no problem at all.

"I had a feeling something was a little weird," she said.

She checked out the resort where the holiday prize was and discovered it was for adults only, so there was no way her kids could go.

So she contacted the travel company supposedly behind the prize only to be told they'd never heard of the competition.

"It was all a big scam to get our details and some cash out of us," Ms Richardson said.

Edited by cressida

I had an automated phone call last week telling me I was being investigated for tax fraud and needed to press 1 to be connected to the investigator for further details. If I didn’t press1 a warrant would be issued immediately for my arrest. I put the phone down but was a bit shaken, my son rang 101 on my behalf and was told it was a scam and I would have been pressured for bank details had I continued the call. Despite this reassurance for a few days  I was jumpy at every knock at the door.

10 hours ago, catmiss said:

I had an automated phone call last week telling me I was being investigated for tax fraud and needed to press 1 to be connected to the investigator for further details. If I didn’t press1 a warrant would be issued immediately for my arrest. I put the phone down but was a bit shaken, my son rang 101 on my behalf and was told it was a scam and I would have been pressured for bank details had I continued the call. Despite this reassurance for a few days  I was jumpy at every knock at the door.

Sadly, there are plenty such scams around, and they can be very worrying.  You did the right thing in putting the phone down.  These scum prey on peoples worries, and even if a very small percentage of people fall for it, it makes it very lucrative for them, and a whole load of misery for the victims.  Well done for not falling for it!

It worries me in case an elderly person , living alone, with dementia gets involved in these scams.

8 hours ago, pattricia said:

It worries me in case an elderly person , living alone, with dementia gets involved in these scams.

Me too-The thought of being arrested really shook me up and, although I live alone, I am aware that scams exist and have the ability to enlist the support of family.

15 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Me too-The thought of being arrested really shook me up and, although I live alone, I am aware that scams exist and have the ability to enlist the support of family.

After a scam call I put the phone down then dial a special number from BT called Call Blocker. This blocks that call for good, but they just change their number, and ring another time. The main culprits are scam bank and Amazon  calls. I’m not even a customer of Amazon but the scammer still rings.

All calls I receive on my landline numbers that are not on my call list I just send to answer machine they soon end the call, if genuine callers they leave a message and I call them back it works for me,the other morning had 5 scam calls in half an hour.

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

All calls I receive on my landline numbers that are not on my call list I just send to answer machine they soon end the call, if genuine callers they leave a message and I call them back it works for me,the other morning had 5 scam calls in half an hour.

Best way, @kay1- the advice everyone should follow, but many obviously don't.

6 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Best way, @kay1- the advice everyone should follow, but many obviously don't.

Best way go with sky 6 a day y talk used to get 5 a day now none 

Edited by spider1

14 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Best way go with sket 6 a day y talk used to get 5 a day now none 

@spider1 - please translate into English.😀