Current Scams...

Had a frightening call on my mobile this afternoon from a Liverpool number supposedly from HMRC saying I was under investigation for tax fraud and if I didn’t press 1 a warrant for my arrest would be issued immediately. Although I terminated the call I was concerned but 101 assured me this was a scam call they were aware of

Had the same email as  alandrea0  stating unable to take payment for tv licence.

Also had a call from a  company named House Guard  . They knew I had  had cavity wall insulation  installed  a few years ago.  They knew this because they have bought a list of people who had done so.  They andI I are aware this has caused damp in some properties . The call came from a spoofed Sheffield number. House guard is in Bournemouth.  they asked would I like  their surveyor to inspect for damp.  I agreed.  he arrived and professed to be a surveyor  NOT a salesman .    " We are working with the government" he stated . The government is offering subsidies to rectify damp caused by cavity wall installations.     I am aware that poorly or wrongly installed cavity insulation may cause damp.    So the surveyor " not  a salesman    " gets out his little protimeter ( damp  meter)  and proceeds to tell me  any reading above 5 and you have got damp.    Well what a surprise  the first reading  in my living room  was 15 .  Second room 12.    At this stage I told him I know there is some efflorescence on one of the external walls.  Efflorescence  is just the techical name  for the white powdering deposits of salts on the outside of brickwork.   He  did not have  clue what I meant  when i mentioned efflorescence. 

Well he was kindhearted because he then phoned his office  to find out it would cost me only £ 3000  to cure the rising damp I don't have and it was only £ 3000 as his company were getting a £ 1000 from the government to reduce the cost.      

16 hours ago, jjbarnesfan said:

Well he was kindhearted because he then phoned his office  to find out it would cost me only £ 3000  to cure the rising damp I don't have and it was only £ 3000 as his company were getting a £ 1000 from the government to reduce the cost.     

Ah... the old "I'll just phone my boss to see if there's anything we can do" trick.

Much loved ruse by double-glazing boys and many a BBC Watchdog programme...

A strange scam has been sprouting up in the mailboxes of people around the world.

From Leeds to Washington, a growing number of people have recently reported receiving unsolicited shipments of seeds — that appear to have been sent from China.

The Chineese are trying to spread discease, first COVID and now an invasive plant species  :)

As I write, the UK government are checking the DNA of the seeds.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1315792/china-uk-latest-biosecurity-risk-seeds-jewellery-false-labelling-packages-defra

https://nypost.com/2020/07/30/what-to-know-about-the-mystery-seeds-from-china/

Warning T.V. licencing Scam

Received this today from  UK. Television Gov.uk !

Due to outdated account details, your licence has been flagged and it will be suspended if no

response has been received against this notification.

It’s important we keep our records up to date. It  [help]  us keeping track of our licensee and

to perform periodic subscription transaction without interrupting the licence service,

saving downtime of our services to users.

Update now

Your licence expires on:  8/1/2020 4:19:29 p.m.

Checked my T.V. licence Letter copy paid up to March 2021

You are asked to fill in an on line form ---- don't.

They will try anything,  be aware.

Edited by MEC176

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

A strange scam has been sprouting up in the mailboxes of people around the world.

From Leeds to Washington, a growing number of people have recently reported receiving unsolicited shipments of seeds — that appear to have been sent from China.

The Chineese are trying to spread discease, first COVID and now an invasive plant species  :)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1315792/china-uk-latest-biosecurity-risk-seeds-jewellery-false-labelling-packages-defra

Surely this post would be better off in the conspiracy theories thread.

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

11 hours ago, max said:

Surely this post would be better off in the conspiracy theories thread.

I don't know about the conspiracy thread, max, more like Fantasy & Fiction comics in 'I'm Bored'

I have just had an e mail from " telling me me account needs updating,  if I don't I'll lose it .

DELETED

Edited by davyboy

I received unsolicited clothing from China again,  I've not opened it but would cost me to return it - what's their game?

57 minutes ago, cressida said:

I received unsolicited clothing from China again,  I've not opened it but would cost me to return it - what's their game?

Has any moneys been taken from you ? do they have your bank details ? have you been issued with an invoice ? do you know the company sending them ?

if not I wouldn't worry they never fit anyway unless you order 5 sizes bigger than you normally take or 8 sizes bigger in shoe size.

Q

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Scam from China

Quote from Rockers Rule:

Has any moneys been taken from you ? do they have your bank details ? have you been issued with an invoice ? do you know the company sending them ?

if not I wouldn't worry they never fit anyway unless you order 5 sizes bigger than you normally take or 8 sizes bigger in shoe size

I've 'filed' it atm

Edited by cressida