Current Scams...

Just had a feel good factor. Had a scam call from 'BT'. I was due a refund cos I a pensioner. I asked if they wanted my bank details. They said first give name & address. I said 'no'. Can't give me refund if don't give them details. Was then told to hang up so I told them to hang up. She said you hang up i said you hang up. This went on for ages till she gave up and told me to f*** off. I just laughed at her. Made my day got her angry. Will probably get lots calls now.

Had a really slick one pretending to be from HMRC ref the job retention scheme. Email address was very similar (noreply55 vs no reply). The wording was a bit off, and the bit at the bottom omitted (ironically) the stuff about phishing but that aside, more or less what you'd expect from HMRC.

1 hour ago, Fiat500 said:

Just had a feel good factor. Had a scam call from 'BT'. I was due a refund cos I a pensioner. I asked if they wanted my bank details. They said first give name & address. I said 'no'. Can't give me refund if don't give them details. Was then told to hang up so I told them to hang up. She said you hang up i said you hang up. This went on for ages till she gave up and told me to f*** off. I just laughed at her. Made my day got her angry. Will probably get lots calls now.

Good on ya!  The trick is with these is to try and keep these criminals on with you as long as possible without giving any of your details away.  The longer they are on with you, the less time they have to get through to more gullible people.  I kept one such caller "I'm from Microsoft and there's a fault with your Windows installation and I can help if you ...." on for ages, even getting him to help me out by telling me what the weather was like in London that day as I was going down the next day on business (he claimed he was speaking from Victoria and described the view, including sites simply not visible from Victoria!).  Oddly enough, said "Microsoft" employee used the same term (f*** off) when he asked me to type something on my keyboard and I said I didn't have a computer, and I thought he was asking about my double-glazing!

On 30/06/2020 at 16:15, max said:

I now ask to be put through to their supervisor. When they ask why, I explain that they have called an unlisted MOD number and that using it is constitutes a breach of national security.

Strangely, I never get put through and the call ends swiftly.

I like this one.   I'll have to remember it and try it out!

5 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Good on ya!  The trick is with these is to try and keep these criminals on with you as long as possible without giving any of your details away.  The longer they are on with you, the less time they have to get through to more gullible people.  I kept one such caller "I'm from Microsoft and there's a fault with your Windows installation and I can help if you ...." on for ages, even getting him to help me out by telling me what the weather was like in London that day as I was going down the next day on business (he claimed he was speaking from Victoria and described the view, including sites simply not visible from Victoria!).  Oddly enough, said "Microsoft" employee used the same term (f*** off) when he asked me to type something on my keyboard and I said I didn't have a computer, and I thought he was asking about my double-glazing!

I kept one on for a while because I was on my work laptop, and I "couldn't understand" why the call was coming from Microsoft when everything has to go through my IT department.  Even got through to a supervisor with that one!

19 minutes ago, Becky B said:

I like this one.   I'll have to remember it and try it out!

I kept one on for a while because I was on my work laptop, and I "couldn't understand" why the call was coming from Microsoft when everything has to go through my IT department.  Even got through to a supervisor with that one!

Well done - as long as you realise that the "supervisor" is probably just someone sat next to them in a big call-centre run by a criminal gang.  As soon as international police forced close one, another one opens.  Right plan though - waste their time. 

They also document and sell on details of those who fall for scams.  Fall for one, expect more.  By the same token, waste their time and prove you are on to them, may mean you  get fewer.

As a variation on the theme (above) of keeping them hanging on, I take the call and say, “yes, I’m glad you called, I’ll get my paperwork, hang on...” and leave the phone on the table whilst getting on with whatever I was doing.

It’s amusing to hear their “hello ... HELLO” until they get the message.  

One thing not to do on a scam call is to say 'yes', it can be recorded and used by the scammer (or so they say). It is difficult to do, a bit like on old tv show take your pick with Michael Miles (now that shows how old I am). They ask are you Mrs **** I say who wants to know or why. Occasionally I fall into the 'yes' trap. I sometimes see it as a challenge or I just put phone down.

Getting a lot of calls this week  saying that they are from BT and they are going to cut off my Internet. I have BT Call Blocker but when I dial this to block the call,   BT say the scam caller did not leave their number.

5 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Getting a lot of calls this week  saying that they are from BT and they are going to cut off my Internet. I have BT Call Blocker but when I dial this to block the call,   BT say the scam caller did not leave their number.

Strange, @pattricia - have you got caller display on your phone?

In any case, as you know, BT would not call you - the message would come from your ISP - in the very unlikely event that this was to happen.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Strange, @pattricia - have you got caller display on your phone?

In any case, as you know, BT would not call you - the message would come from your ISP - in the very unlikely event that this was to happen.

I do not have caller display on my phone and BT is my ISP.

2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I do not have caller display on my phone and BT is my ISP.

OK.  If I were you, I would get a caller display phone, but that is your decision. Regardless, these calls, which seem to be one of the scammers favourites at the moment are total fakes - as you know.

I had a pleasant chat with a scammer yesterday on the landline. He said my washing machine had come to end of warranty. I said I haven't got one I go to stream and beat my washing on a rock. Don't think he understood my sarcasm as he then asked had I got any other electricity items. I said no cos I live in a tent, I haven't even got a phone. He then laughed and said ok I think I understand, have a nice day, I said you too. Now if they were all like that...