Current Scams...

Now you understand their tactics, also you can't phone them back with an IP Phone, but they have the ability to TEXT you, to seem like a  big organisation, with elaborate phone systems, with the ability to Press One for ?..Press Two for Blah......Call back etc etc..

Also an IP Phone which just plugs into, Any Free USB Port is available From as little as £20.

On 28/02/2020 at 08:37, DeZeus said:

IMHO - The main reason WHY is because Sales Companies like the Accident, Ambulance Chasers, Scammers, Internet Crooks, Sales Blaggers Etc..

Do NOT use ordinary LandLine Phones with Genuine Numbers, they will use IP Phones which can be setup to Emulate Any Number they Choose...to use..

Once you block any number, they switch - the settings..

Spot on!   For my part, if there's a human on the line I either lead them on a wild goose chase for fun or tell them to #### off and hang up.   If it's a recorded message I just hang up.   Absolutely no point in trying to block the number....like the Terminator they just come back!

I just wish I could innovate or invent something electronic which makes them stop! Or just disrupt their Insidious Activities ....

Answers on a Postcard, or Email Direct to the Scammers own email address..

Edited by DeZeus
Addition

Fortunately I don’t get many nuisance calls on my landline.   When someone does call me it always goes to recorded message and I then listen to who it is, if I am in the house, before deciding if I want to talk to them.  If no one leaves a message and just puts the phone down I don’t bother to check the last number to see who it is. 

Therefore I am the one who has control over who I want to talk to.

Has enyone else noticed the drop in Scam phone calls or have I just been lucky over the last couple of weeks

I certainly have, although I get very few myself, I post quite often on one site to try and persuade people to not answer these calls, and the last new post was nearly 40 hours ago.

Simple explanation - 99.9% of these calls originate from the Indian sub-continent, and they are in total lock-down, so cannot use the 'call-centres'

The only calls I answer are from my own saved numbers, the rest I put straight to the answer machine, genuine callers will leave a message

Very sensible, @kay1 - exactly the right way of dealing with them.

As title, all of a sudden I'm getting loads of phishing/scam emails - "BTsupport" claiming they are having problems "authorizing your last bill payment" and asking for new bank details, and "Netflix" to "view today" because one of my email accounts has recently "created a Netflix account" (which I haven't).

The BT one is very amateurish, and I would hope that nobody falls for it.

The Netflix job is a "better" design, but is blunt - "Filling out forms is boring", and straight into pay by card/paypal.

There's been an increase to try and catch people home working or just self isolating and using these services more.

2 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

As title, all of a sudden I'm getting loads of phishing/scam emails - "BTsupport" claiming they are having problems "authorizing your last bill payment" and asking for new bank details, and "Netflix" to "view today" because one of my email accounts has recently "created a Netflix account" (which I haven't).

The BT one is very amateurish, and I would hope that nobody falls for it.

The Netflix job is a "better" design, but is blunt - "Filling out forms is boring", and straight into pay by card/paypal.

I had one – similar wording to the BT one – but pretending to come from TV Licensing. There's a customer of telenet.be who's being a very naughty boy.

sign to TPS and MPS, will stop 95% of calls and letters, as for emails, just report as spam when you get them, they will slowly reduce over time...