Current Scams...

The world of scamming is getting worse every year, with more and more scammers using different ways to try and scam people out of their money.

I regular get emails and phone calls from someone trying to scam me.

Many people get these scams and don't bother to do anything about it.

We need more people to report these scams..

Sheffield Forum! Can we have a dedicated forum totally dedicated for users to tell us about scams they have received, so we can help all users what to watch out for.

Hopefully by having this, more people will be aware and less likely to fall victims to a scam..

This link on WHICH site gives more info about reporting scams.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-report-a-scam

P.S. Just had a dodgy phone call from someone with a foreign accent trying to sell me a washing machine warranty.. BEWARE of this scam...

• Thanks 1

I must say that I am impressed with the BT phones which I have recently bought which blocks all calls not included in my contact list.

The BT Call Blocker service was ineffective as I was getting the same nuisance call from different numbers,and recently it informed me that my blocked calls was full and I had to remove some.

The house phone had become an irritation with several nuisance  calls a day and I had got bored with playing them along.Warranties,threats to my broadband,Amazon prime etc.etc.

Most of my real contacts use my mobile anyway,so I now only accept house calls from about a dozen numbers,mainly family.

44 minutes ago, alandrea0 said:

This link on WHICH site gives more info about reporting scams.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-report-a-scam

P.S. Just had a dodgy phone call from someone with a foreign accent trying to sell me a washing machine warranty.. BEWARE of this scam...

I get these every so often, I just tell them  I haven't  got a washing machine and I take my washing down to the river and bash em on to the rocks.

Last night I got 3 calls in a matter of 30 minutes telling me about free new boilers that are available. 

Although I'm  registered with the nuisance  call service some calls still get through but what I can't  understand  is how can these people do this job? They must get some abuse because I've  been known to dish some out if they have caught me at the wrong time. I'd  rather clean  the  pubs toilet if I was so desperate for a job.

I used to get a lot of these spam calls, and before the spammers started using pre-recorded messages, had quite a bit of fun winding the callers up.

Nowadays, if the number is unknown to me, I ignore it - if someone I'm not expecting a call from really wants to get in touch, they can leave a message and I'll call them back at my convenience. I have found this method works very well - I consider myself unlucky if I get more than two unsolicited calls a month.

Edited by RollingJ

That's a simple question to answer, it's easy money to earn..

When you consider that 95% of crimes do not get solved, it is very unlikely these scammers will be caught.

The phone and email service providers like BT, Virgin, Vodafone, O2 etc don't do enough to stop it.

Even when scammers are using their names to scam people..

Gone! have the good old days when people were honest, law abiding and trustworthy..

The majority of scammers i find have foreign accents and if they are in a foreign country they will enjoy ripping off the Brits.

We are seen as a rich nation and scammers living in a poor country won't care about who they steal from.....

It is disheartening when you get a cold call that does cause some distress or anxiety even if you put the phone down straight away. 

Have a think about what you can do to remove that feeling using a new habit, like stand outside for 30 seconds and take in some fresh air, sniff some flowers.

I used to head to the fridge for some reason but out of that now after some adjustments.

15 minutes ago, alandrea0 said:

That's a simple question to answer, it's easy money to earn..

When you consider that 95% of crimes do not get solved, it is very unlikely these scammers will be caught.

The phone and email service providers like BT, Virgin, Vodafone, O2 etc don't do enough to stop it.

Even when scammers are using their names to scam people..

Gone! have the good old days when people were honest, law abiding and trustworthy..

The majority of scammers i find have foreign accents and if they are in a foreign country they will enjoy ripping off the Brits.

We are seen as a rich nation and scammers living in a poor country won't care about who they steal from.....

As, at a guess, 99% of these calls originate outside of the UK ,  it is impossible for UK telecoms firms to do anything to stop them. FYI, from doing a bit of research when these were a real pain, other countries (mainly Western) have exactly the same problem, so it is not a situation unique to the UK.

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

I must say that I am impressed with the BT phones which I have recently bought which blocks all calls not included in my contact list.

The BT Call Blocker service was ineffective as I was getting the same nuisance call from different numbers,and recently it informed me that my blocked calls was full and I had to remove some.

The house phone had become an irritation with several nuisance  calls a day and I had got bored with playing them along.Warranties,threats to my broadband,Amazon prime etc.etc.

Most of my real contacts use my mobile anyway,so I now only accept house calls from about a dozen numbers,mainly family.

I got a BT Call guardian phone and answer machine nearly 4 years ago, it stopped the cold calls and the international ones that are out to scam you.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

As, at a guess, 99% of these calls originate outside of the UK ,  it is impossible for UK telecoms firms to do anything to stop them. FYI, from doing a bit of research when these were a real pain, other countries (mainly Western) have exactly the same problem, so it is not a situation unique to the UK.

No its not load of rubbish . I used to get 4 or 5 a day went with sky talk now get none not had one for 3 years brilliant 

1 minute ago, spider1 said:

No its not load of rubbish . I used to get 4 or 5 a day went with sky talk now get none not had one for 3 years brilliant 

Did you get a new number? A lot of people claim to get similar calls on their mobiles - I've had the same mobile number for 25+ years, and can count on one hand the number of spam/scam calls or texts I've had, so it could just be luck.

My comment re: what UK telecoms firms can do stands - unless you specifically block international calls yourself (or ask your phone provider to do so, which may cost), there is nothing they can do about phone users in other countries.

23 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Did you get a new number? A lot of people claim to get similar calls on their mobiles - I've had the same mobile number for 25+ years, and can count on one hand the number of spam/scam calls or texts I've had, so it could just be luck.

My comment re: what UK telecoms firms can do stands - unless you specifically block international calls yourself (or ask your phone provider to do so, which may cost), there is nothing they can do about phone users in other countries.

No kept same number best thing we ever did. There was a thread about it a few years ago on here  the sky one is the best and i know brill  

One thing i have noticed is scammers are now having more goes now at mobile numbers but its easy to bar a number on a mobile / Ialso got my  mobiles [ mine and wifes through sky .  Two         I Phone 6  for 20 pounds a month  both   unlimited calls and text contract 2 years cant beat that 

Edited by spider1

OK @spider1 - I'll accept it works for you (a bit like my mobile), but I wouldn't touch SKY with a bargepole, for personal reasons.