Help Needed To Start New Charity To Help Kids & Prevent Crime

Hello & thank you for taking the time to read this.

I know what I want to do & what I want to achieve but I don't know where or how to start.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated & if anyone wants to jump onboard & get involved that would be great.

I want to start a charity/raise money to fund activities for underprivileged kids. Football,  boxing,  dancing....anything they are passionate about. 

Obviously there will need to be some kind of assessment process to ensure the money is going to the right families. 

The desired outcome would not only be to create a better quality of life for the young people but also to prevent crime.  

Gangs target kids for drug running, sexual exploitation. They get involved in knife crime ect from hanging out on the streets. 

I'm not saying this is going to end all crime! but what I am saying is by helping these kids to get involved in something positive that they enjoy & are passionate about is going to prevent them in getting involved in crime & gangs.

This would benefit you & your family even if you don't need our funding & can fund your own kids activities. Preventing these kids from getting involved in crime will create a better community for us all to live in & a better place for our kids to grow up. 

You and all the staff and volunteers will need to have the enhanced DBS checks done and hold the correct insurance.

Follow the advice from Chez2.

As there are already many charities already doing this, a way forward would be to volunteer for them and learn the ropes. 

17 hours ago, BettysCommunity said:

I want to start a charity/raise money to fund activities for underprivileged kids. Football,  boxing,  dancing...

Fully behind you Betty dear, it is an absolute minefield though setting up a charity board, funding etc. As previously said, joining an established charity is the most effective way to progress quickly. Once established you can talk to them and use their expertise and resources.

Just posting to wish you success in your endeavour. Every mountain climbed always started with the first step.

The Charities Department at Wrigleys Solicitors can help set up the charity and ensure all legal requirements are met.    Good luck with your venture!

if its just for your area ,your local tenants/residents association can help you do this ,that would be very easy.

8 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

You and all the staff and volunteers will need to have the enhanced DBS checks done and hold the correct insurance.

Follow the advice from Chez2.

As there are already many charities already doing this, a way forward would be to volunteer for them and learn the ropes. 

Hey guys thank you so much for your replies. Can you point me in the direction of charities that already do this? I have searched loads and cant seem to find any

1 hour ago, BettysCommunity said:

Hey guys thank you so much for your replies. Can you point me in the direction of charities that already do this? I have searched loads and cant seem to find any

Ask Voluntary Action Sheffield.

Sounds like a great idea. 

I suggest getting involved with your local area panels, go to the next meeting and speak to the people there, they also have access to funding streams for the very purpose you mention.  You can add yourself to the local panel email alerts via the council website, or get in touch with your local councillors for details.  Good luck!

There are also several free courses available for people who want to start businesses  much of which applies to starting a charity.

Doing your own research, identifying the market, making contacts, having a business plan etc.

You really must do your own research as the biggest ever change in the charity sector is taking place with the EU funding for 'social' charities ending and no plans for it to be replaced by the Conservative Government.

On 12/02/2020 at 19:05, BettysCommunity said:

There is a programme in Sheffield called Reach Up Group, PM me I’ll get you the contact details