Concrete Blocks Around City Centre

43 minutes ago, Resident said:

Because Terrorists target small corner shops 🤣

Thanks for that. Only reason I asked is I've seen bus bays with double yellows rather than the thick single. I thought the Sheaf St one had the doubles but Google Maps tells me I'm wrong. 

Double yellows were used in the past, but nowadays they tend to use the bus stop clearway as it’s a stronger restriction for the bus stop. A penalty can be issued instantly for stopping in one at all and they are enforceable by camera. 

Anti-terror barrier plans for Sheffield city centre

Anti-terror barriers are to be permanently installed in Sheffield city centre.

About £5m will be spent on safety measures at Tudor Square, Fargate, Pinstone Street, Barkers Pool and The Moor, the city council said.

The barriers will be landscaped, rather than concrete blocks, and able to withstand the force of a six-tonne van.

The authority said the move was not in response to a specific threat but it was necessary to keep people safe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-51571285?fbclid=IwAR2GNvo1tsM-iU9IbBmyWeIA4aYujpvwpEph2DT9HWSvB1Q-R-YAWX1OhMU

I don't know why the council is installing these in the city centre there has never been a terrorist attack here if they were going to attack somewhere they would attack a bigger target like meadowhall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-51571285?at_custom4=3DD09EEA-549B-11EA-8E60-1AAB96E8478F&at_custom1=link&at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+Yorkshire+&at_custom2=facebook_page

2 hours ago, craigmason said:

I don't know why the council is installing these in the city centre there has never been a terrorist attack here if they were going to attack somewhere they would attack a bigger target like meadowhall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-51571285?at_custom4=3DD09EEA-549B-11EA-8E60-1AAB96E8478F&at_custom1=link&at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+Yorkshire+&at_custom2=facebook_page

Oh right so they should do nothing and just wait for it to happen then shall they?? 

What a moronic comment.

Of course the city centre is a target.  It's an area of major commerce where thousands of people flock to and walk around every single day.

Meadowhall will already have vast amounts of anti-terrorism measures in place.  It would have been built into the designs and operational procedures from day one.   

Besides, attacks don't just happen in big fancy shopping centres you know.   

The last one what's on Streatham high Street for god's sake.  That was hardly a locaction of vast wealth or importance was it.

On 15/02/2020 at 21:23, Planner1 said:

Double yellows were used in the past, but nowadays they tend to use the bus stop clearway as it’s a stronger restriction for the bus stop. A penalty can be issued instantly for stopping in one at all and they are enforceable by camera. 

And yet people still park in them and the council fail (choose not to more likely) to enforce them, especially in certain areas of the city which are a free for all due to this unwilling to send enforcement in. 

On 21/02/2020 at 16:50, craigmason said:

Old saying, "You keep your army for a thousand years because one day you might need it."

15 minutes ago, Resident said:

And yet people still park in them and the council fail (choose not to more likely) to enforce them, especially in certain areas of the city which are a free for all due to this unwilling to send enforcement in. 

People are people, they will push their luck if they think they can get away with it. 

The council get a lot of different pressures for enforcement and they have to prioritise. City centre is always a priority as are major routes. School entrances too. 

They have a limited amount of enforcement officers and they can’t have one permanently stationed  at every location where people say there’s a problem. 

People accuse them of not enforcing certain areas, but from my own experience, I can tell you that is not true. If you ask them, they will be able to give you stats on how many tickets have been issued on any street. You can also report issues you see and ask for enforcement action. They have mobile teams who can respond, or they can schedule visits. Tel 0114 2734567 email pakingservices@sheffield.gov.uk

28 minutes ago, Resident said:

You haven't read the whole thread have you ?

if they were going to attack somewhere they would attack a bigger target like meadowhall

Why would they?  For how many years have terrorists been using cars and vans to drive into people on the street?

Today in Germany. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51619353?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c77jz3md4rdt/germany&link_location=live-reporting-story

Note they had plastic barriers in place. 

On 15/02/2020 at 17:31, max said:

With your expertise and experience of Traffic Regulation Orders I'm  surprised you don't work for a regulatory body. Or do you?

I used to.

On 15/02/2020 at 19:30, Planner1 said:

These things take money and most importantly, political will.

How long these things take to happen isn’t a matter of competence, it’s whether they are a priority.

Always got an excuse, haven't you?