Concrete Blocks Around City Centre

19 hours ago, Jason302 said:

Are the concrete blocks meant as an terrorism deterrent?  A lot of Christmas markets installed these type of blocks to prevent terrorists mounting pavements and hitting  people

Check out the ones in York for comparison. Steel ones and concrete blocks by the Minster

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18040485.headline-yorks-new-anti-terror-measures-top/

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Edited by alchresearch

On 12/02/2020 at 13:59, Baron99 said:

So as soon as SCC take over traffic enforcement responsibility in the area, they'll be able to ticket offenders. 

But the clowncil are already responsible for parking enforcement, ever since it was declassified from a criminal offence to a civil offence. 

Since there are double yellow lines & kerb markings in that area, lines which cover from there painted location upto the nearest wall (so covering pavements) parking tickets are enforceable without the need for these extra TROs. 

I like the concrete blocks although ugly as I know they keep me safe in the pedestrian areas.

I have asked for double yellow lines on all the corners where I live at they developed into being convenient parking spots for private car taxis. I know of at least two accidents locally where people have had their cars written off because of not being able to see out of junctions. Engineering as far as bollards are concerned is something that is now necessary because a minority of the public wont act responsibly so everyone is going to suffer. Education and enforcement are the tools to focus on before engineering but we are past that now unfortunately.

Edited by Squimage

5 hours ago, Resident said:

But the clowncil are already responsible for parking enforcement, ever since it was declassified from a criminal offence to a civil offence. 

Something to do with the bus stop which complicates matters (idk exactly), making this particular location a police matter.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

12 hours ago, ads36 said:

Something to do with the bus stop which complicates matters (idk exactly), making this particular location a police matter.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

I'd be interested to know why since the doubles run through the bus stop. 

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Doesn't look like that on Google street view.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Bus bays tend to be protected by a bus stop clearway. The roadmarking for this has a thick yellow line alongside the kerb like this They don't have double yellows or anything like that, only the bus stop clearway marking. A separate traffic regulation order and associated signing is required to deal with parking on the footway.

The bus stop clearway restriction only applies to the actual carriageway, it does not apply to the footway. There are several places in the city centre where drivers have been taking advantage of this, including Sheaf St and Commercial St.

The Council adopted a new parking strategy a couple of years ago in which they said they'd introduce measures to deal with pavement parking in the city centre. Seems they are now implementing that.

Edited by Planner1

Two years to make a few Traffic Regulation Orders? I guess you can't rush these things, particularly when you're incompetent.

13 minutes ago, Weredoomed said:

Two years to make a few Traffic Regulation Orders? I guess you can't rush these things, particularly when you're incompetent.

With your expertise and experience of Traffic Regulation Orders I'm  surprised you don't work for a regulatory body. Or do you?

2 hours ago, Weredoomed said:

These things take money and most importantly, political will.

How long these things take to happen isn’t a matter of competence, it’s whether they are a priority.

On 10/02/2020 at 22:47, Resident said:

So SCC have started placing concrete blocks around the city centre (there are some opposite train station) with 

"temporary measure to combat selfish parking" 

Great that they're attempting to deal with the problem but they're creating the same issue with the blocks, causing an obstruction to pedestrians. 

Personally, in my opinion, they should just wait for the problem parkers and the remove the car via tow-truck. If they want their car back, £200 + daily storage fees. 

The blocks are in place for a possible terrorist attack , what is your problem?

29 minutes ago, prince al said:

The blocks are in place for a possible terrorist attack , what is your problem?

Because Terrorists target small corner shops 🤣

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Bus bays tend to be protected by a bus stop clearway. The roadmarking for this has a thick yellow line alongside the kerb like this They don't have double yellows or anything like that, only the bus stop clearway marking. A separate traffic regulation order and associated signing is required to deal with parking on the footway.

The bus stop clearway restriction only applies to the actual carriageway, it does not apply to the footway. There are several places in the city centre where drivers have been taking advantage of this, including Sheaf St and Commercial St.

The Council adopted a new parking strategy a couple of years ago in which they said they'd introduce measures to deal with pavement parking in the city centre. Seems they are now implementing that.

Thanks for that. Only reason I asked is I've seen bus bays with double yellows rather than the thick single. I thought the Sheaf St one had the doubles but Google Maps tells me I'm wrong.