Bridge Between Scotland And Northern Ireland

A No.10 spokesman has confirmed that Government officials are working on a plan to build a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Given Boris Johnson's history with bridges I find it hard to imagine this being anything more than pie in the sky or another expensive white elephant. 

If he does I think he'll regret it

Doesn't he want to put it where the army casually (ie they don't know where precisely) dropped 1.5 tonnes of disused ordnance?

Oh, and connecting two countries who quite possibly won't be in the union by the time it's finished?

More chance of a 40ft granite statue of me outside the co-op in killamarsh.

Edited by tinfoilhat

9 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Doesn't he want to put it where the army casually (ie they don't know where precisely) dropped 1.5 tonnes of disused ordnance?

You're a bit out with the disused ordinance - it's 1.15 million tons.

With a bit of luck, someone will use his penchant for vanity projects to get infrastructure spending in the north - e.g. "We could call it the Boris Tunnel" for a new all weather trans-pennine link.

He's also suggested a Bridge linking us to France.

6 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

I remember reading this when Bonkers first came out with the idea.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQacweTXkAETivo?format=jpg&name=small

He probably thinks that if all those internet warriers are discussing a Scotland to Ireland bridge, it will distract from his own policies. Its a barking idea - not worth a £2 million feasibility report.

Edited by El Cid

1 hour ago, geared said:

He's also suggested a Bridge linking us to France.

Seeing as he didn't manage to get his vanity project bridge across the Thames built, I think the chances of this or the NI / Scotland one are zilch.

I think building  a tunnel might be more feasible, possibly cheaper if we dug out the old channel tunnel borer out for renovation.

23 minutes ago, DeZeus said:

I think building  a tunnel might be more feasible, possibly cheaper if we dug out the old channel tunnel borer out for renovation.

Lowest point in the channel tunnel is less than 400ft below sea level - a Scotland NI tunnel would have to go down over 1,000 feet.

14 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Lowest point in the channel tunnel is less than 400ft below sea level - a Scotland NI tunnel would have to go down over 1,000 feet.

That’s easy then, just swap the Channel and the Irish Sea over.

Should be easy enough now that we’ve taken back control of our waters.

if we reverse climate change we will be able to walk across just like humans could back in the day