Luton Town V Swfc

6 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

Goes from bad to worse, Forestieri  wing back, asking for trouble. Some of that team should take a look at themselves.  Has GM got a problem with some of the players? Things are not going well and lose Saturday  and he is in for a rough ride. You have to feel for the fans who went to the game.  Even my patience is being put to the test. 

I think you're on to something there Alan.  By the way, I'm a Blade so you'll have to excuse me for poking my nose in, but I'm also one of this rare breed of Blades that doesn't hate Wednesday and in fact would like to see both Sheffield teams in the Premiership.  

At the start of this season I thought you'd struggle tbh - and I had a bit of a debate on here with some about that.  The main reason I said that was because I felt the financial restrictions on the club would prevent you from giving the team the overhaul that it needed.  There was also something about players on long contracts that couldn't be moved on easily and of course the departure of Steve Bruce, who I think is a good manager.

Since then of course there's been some "change" in the financial situation with the sale of the ground, although that may create more problems than it solves, and you've brought in Garry Monk - who, I think, has been "unlucky" in some of his previous appointments, but nevertheless he cannot point to any significant successes despite managing some decent teams.

You have some good individual players, but the team has been inconsistent now for many, many seasons.  There's nothing quite so frustrating as that and we've had our share of it in the past too.  There's another factor as well here and that's the recruitment policy.  It's not apparent that the manager is making the decisions on who comes in and that's not an ideal situation.  

Around Christmas time you were shaping up well.  Top of the league at one point I think?  And I was thinking I'd called this one wrong.  But true to past form, the team has suddenly gone into a bit of a tail-spin and is now sitting in mid-table.  Football is, to some extent, a game of chance and bad results, freak results even, do happen to the best of teams.  But to get an idea of where you are likely to end up I think looking at the performances tells us more than the actual results sometimes.

From what I'm hearing, the performances have generally not been good.  Even the win at Leeds, I hear, was not convincing despite the 0-2 scoreline in Owls favour.  If the team are playing well but just not getting the breaks, that's one thing.  But if the underlying performances are poor then that's much more of a concern.  

Back to Garry Monk then, and on one hand you have to say, it would be very harsh if the fans started to turn against him so soon after his appointment - especially when one considers he hasn't had much to work with in terms of changing the team.  He has brought 3 new players in recently though and he will be judged on how much of an impact they  make, because quite rightly, the fans will want to see evidence that they are an improvement over what was already there.  It may take them a few games to fit in and reach a decent level of performance, but there has to be signs at least, that they are going to do that.

Meanwhile, the fans will judge Monk on something else - and that's his team selection, tactics and the way he comes over in the media.  From what I'm hearing, he's frozen some players out and made it clear they aren't in his plans.  He's said that publicly.  I heard him the other week saying how some players should not be at the club.  I always think it's a worrying sign when a manager comes out in public and starts criticising his players.  That was a red flag to me.

In terms of his team selection and tactics, I think some fans are a bit puzzled by that as well.  I hear he played Forestieri in an unaccustomed left wing back role last night?  Reminds me a bit of when we had Adkins and he was playing strikers in that position.  It's a bit odd to say the least.  But there's one more thing that I think is a concern and that's the way Monk comes across in the media.

After the goalless draw with Millwall the other week, Monk sounded quite positive about it, when most Owls I know thought it was another poor display.  He'd promised wholesale changes after the defeat at Wigan, but he only made 2 changes and one of those was enforced through injury.  So, there's some inconsistency there in what he says and what he does.  And also in his assessment of the performances, compared to most fans.  

I thought it would be a tough game for you last night, so did a few others on the South Yorkshire Footy Board:    http://southyorksfooty.proboards.com/thread/3541/luton-owls-12th-feb-2020

So the result isn't a surprise to me, but what is really disappointing I think is that the performance was, once again, very poor by all accounts.

Monk comes across as quite downbeat and pessimistic.  It seems he's upset a few of the players - and that can have an impact on other players as well.  

In summary, I think Monk is part of the problem, not part of the solution.  And I can see him having a short tenure.  But one has to ask how any manager coming in to the club at this point in time can turn things around given the other clouds hanging over the club?

Edited by DerbyTup

Gary Monk's being blamed. The players are being blamed.

And yet Mr Chansiri who with his irresponsible management of the club has created this toxic culture at the club goes under the radar.

Listening to football heaven there are some Wednesdayites who are beginning to see the light.

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I think you're on to something there Alan.  By the way, I'm a Blade so you'll have to excuse me for poking my nose in, but I'm also one of this rare breed of Blades that doesn't hate Wednesday and in fact would like to see both Sheffield teams in the Premiership.  

At the start of this season I thought you'd struggle tbh - and I had a bit of a debate on here with some about that.  The main reason I said that was because I felt the financial restrictions on the club would prevent you from giving the team the overhaul that it needed.  There was also something about players on long contracts that couldn't be moved on easily and of course the departure of Steve Bruce, who I think is a good manager.

Since then of course there's been some "change" in the financial situation with the sale of the ground, although that may create more problems than it solves, and you've brought in Garry Monk - who, I think, has been "unlucky" in some of his previous appointments, but nevertheless he cannot point to any significant successes despite managing some decent teams.

You have some good individual players, but the team has been inconsistent now for many, many seasons.  There's nothing quite so frustrating as that and we've had our share of it in the past too.  There's another factor as well here and that's the recruitment policy.  It's not apparent that the manager is making the decisions on who comes in and that's not an ideal situation.  

Around Christmas time you were shaping up well.  Top of the league at one point I think?  And I was thinking I'd called this one wrong.  But true to past form, the team has suddenly gone into a bit of a tail-spin and is now sitting in mid-table.  Football is, to some extent, a game of chance and bad results, freak results even, do happen to the best of teams.  But to get an idea of where you are likely to end up I think looking at the performances tells us more than the actual results sometimes.

From what I'm hearing, the performances have generally not been good.  Even the win at Leeds, I hear, was not convincing despite the 0-2 scoreline in Owls favour.  If the team are playing well but just not getting the breaks, that's one thing.  But if the underlying performances are poor then that's much more of a concern.  

Back to Garry Monk then, and on one hand you have to say, it would be very harsh if the fans started to turn against him so soon after his appointment - especially when one considers he hasn't had much to work with in terms of changing the team.  He has brought 3 new players in recently though and he will be judged on how much of an impact they  make, because quite rightly, the fans will want to see evidence that they are an improvement over what was already there.  It may take them a few games to fit in and reach a decent level of performance, but there has to be signs at least, that they are going to do that.

Meanwhile, the fans will judge Monk on something else - and that's his team selection, tactics and the way he comes over in the media.  From what I'm hearing, he's frozen some players out and made it clear they aren't in his plans.  He's said that publicly.  I heard him the other week saying how some players should not be at the club.  I always think it's a worrying sign when a manager comes out in public and starts criticising his players.  That was a red flag to me.

In terms of his team selection and tactics, I think some fans are a bit puzzled by that as well.  I hear he played Forestieri in an unaccustomed left wing back role last night?  Reminds me a bit of when we had Adkins and he was playing strikers in that position.  It's a bit odd to say the least.  But there's one more thing that I think is a concern and that's the way Monk comes across in the media.

After the goalless draw with Millwall the other week, Monk sounded quite positive about it, when most Owls I know thought it was another poor display.  He'd promised wholesale changes after the defeat at Wigan, but he only made 2 changes and one of those was enforced through injury.  So, there's some inconsistency there in what he says and what he does.  And also in his assessment of the performances, compared to most fans.  

I thought it would be a tough game for you last night, so did a few others on the South Yorkshire Footy Board:    http://southyorksfooty.proboards.com/thread/3541/luton-owls-12th-feb-2020

So the result isn't a surprise to me, but what is really disappointing I think is that the performance was, once again, very poor by all accounts.

Monk comes across as quite downbeat and pessimistic.  It seems he's upset a few of the players - and that can have an impact on other players as well.  

In summary, I think Monk is part of the problem, not part of the solution.  And I can see him having a short tenure.  But one has to ask how any manager coming in to the club at this point in time can turn things around given the other clouds hanging over the club?

Derbytup

Are you really that bothered ? 

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Thanks for spending so much time on your reply.  Most of your points are valid, i don,t see where you think we would struggle., thats your opinion. There was no reason when the season began that those players should not be competative .It was around christmas things just went to pieces for what reason  i just dont know but it wants sorting.

The players are good enough (except 2 IMO) but their attitudes are shocking. I don't understand why the players drop their levels to get a Manager sacked (as is happening here) but I don't see any other strategy they could use. It's a shame the good performances couldn't continue, and a 'change of Manager' movement was implemented in the background. I understand that DC wouldn't change the Manager if results and performances were good, but if it was me, I'd appreciate the players' honesty in getting the results and would make plans for a Managerial change. Maybe this has happened at other clubs (Rowett being sacked at Birmingham whilst in the top six, maybe?)

Whatever, the players should play to win every game, firstly, for their own particular pride, secoondly, for the fans and thirdly, to improve their future status in the Leagues and therefore their wages.

Monk is obviously the problem. I never wanted him in the first place, I wanted Rowett. Our good run a couple of months ago was down to new (decentish) Manager syndrome. The collapse since is shocking player attitudes revolting against a under qualified, average coach and boss.

Shame on the players, our fans deserve a lot, lot, better. 

Monk's tactics last night were disastrous from the first minute to last... compounded by taking off the one player who performed, Palmer, just after he'd saved us from going 2-0 down.

I fear we're heading for the pub league.

Edited by steved32

20 minutes ago, steved32 said:

Monk's tactics last night were disastrous from the first minute to last... compounded by taking off the one player who performed, Palmer, just after he'd saved us from going 2-0 down.

I fear we're heading for the pub league.

I don't think we're bad enough to go down on points gained, I think we'd have enough however we still have the threat of a points deduction hanging over us, on this kind of form that could send us down if we did end up getting a big points deduction

4 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Derbytup

Are you really that bothered ? 

😀  I'm only bothered about the Blades of course!  No other team stirs my emotions, not even England.  

However, I am interested in Sheffield football and I do think the rivalry is a great thing.  I think it's at its peak when both teams are competing at the top level, but I won't lose any sleep over it if not.

Rhodes and westwood need bringing back asap they cannot do any worse?

6 hours ago, bassett one said:

Rhodes and westwood need bringing back asap they cannot do any worse?

They can believe me.

why on earths hes gone 532 against bottom of the league beggers belief,if theyd had a couple behind close doors games and got them used to it fair enough.

Putting FF at LWB,right sided Iorfa in the centre of a 3,it just beggered belief,we were lucky to get to HT just 0-1 down,it could have been totally embarassing last night and could easily have ended in a drubbing and a seasons worst defeat.

The new lads look well of the pace of those theyve replaced,Murphy was in great form leading upto Barnsley,Da Cruz flatters to decieve,the barnsley fans were calling him useless.

Cant understand monks logic in bringing in yet another winger,when we lack a presence in the CM area,or Windass whose barely had a game all season,and Wickham isnt fit,FF behind Nuhiu was the logical choice.

Just read latest report in The Star, which obviously misquotes Monk: "I make the decisions..."

Think they've missed out an adjective there, but I'll not speculate about what it is in case the moderation thought police suspend my account.