Poor Accountancy Services

Hi Need some advice on what my next steps to take

The accountants I employed  6 months ago to take over my books have failed me quite seriously. They haven’t done my last two VAT returns. And numerous other items I am in arrears with VAT and have surcharges to pay on top. I have paid them on account 

I am in  a mess. 

kind regards 

Neil

1 hour ago, Neilwalts68 said:

The accountants I employed  6 months ago to take over my books have failed me quite seriously. They haven’t done my last two VAT returns. And numerous other items I am in arrears with VAT and have surcharges to pay on top. I have paid them on account 

I am in  a mess. 

kind regards 

Neil

Is there a way of reporting them to whatever professional body they may belong to?

Presumably your first step would be to start using another accounting service to get you back on track, and sort out your VAT situation with HMRC. 

I’ve already paid them over £1,500.00 so I’m I don’t want to pay any more money to another company 

I think you may have to to get yourself out of this one.

VAT you can do on your own with sage or QuickBooks. I'd be asking for my money back.

Some thing not right here why would you pay 1.500 pounds when they are doing nothing . My a/c used to send me bill after he had done a/c and every thing was sorted . You dont give them money before hand 

1 hour ago, spider1 said:

Some thing not right here why would you pay 1.500 pounds when they are doing nothing . My a/c used to send me bill after he had done a/c and every thing was sorted . You dont give them money before hand 

This^^

I'm sure in your decorating business you generally get paid after the work is done. I've used your firm for decorating and I paid on completion. Same should apply here, although sounds like it's a bit late for that.

On 09/02/2020 at 10:26, Neilwalts68 said:

I am in  a mess. 

kind regards 

Neil

This wasn't by any chance a company in Ecclesfield starting with a P was it? 

We used them for ten years. I few years ago the owner retired but the guy who worked for his still worked there. Apart froma ltter the new owners never introduced themselves. Late year the never did our year end report. We got communication from HMRC something was late. They wanted to hold out until the last minute to sign off our year end figures. We just managed to move to another accountant in time to avoid fines. HMRC were okay about it.

On 09/02/2020 at 10:26, Neilwalts68 said:

I am in  a mess. 

kind regards 

Neil

On 09/02/2020 at 11:23, *Wallace* said:

Is there an ombudsman or something ?

On 09/02/2020 at 11:50, Bargepole23 said:

Is there a way of reporting them to whatever professional body they may belong to?

Yes. All Accountants have to be members of an appropriate professional body which, in some cases, has power to issue sanctions. If the firm are Chartered Accountants, try the ICAEW, or the ACCA.

AND the firm must have an internal complaints procedure, backed by Professional Indemnity Insurance (v. expensive).

What's the process like for getting your money back, including any incidental costs, fines and lost business etc, as a result of them not completing and submitting on time?