The Oscars

So what film do you think will win the Oscar this weekend. ? I’m going for 1917 , as I’ve seen it and it’s very good.

3 hours ago, cressida said:

The Joker has a good chance

Haven’t seen The Joker yet Cressy, but it has a good chance,

Of the ones I'll can guess about...

Best Film - Parasite

Best Director - Sam Mendes

Best Actor - I think Phoenix will get robbed and it'll go to Antonio Bandaras

Best Actress - Renee Zellweger

Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins

Supporting Actress - Florence Pugh

Cinematography - 1917

International Film - Parasite

Documentary - For Sama

Writing (adapted screenplay) - Taika Waititi

Writing (original screenplay) - Bong Joon-ho

And if all of those happen I'll be annoyed I didn't put a bet on it.

On 08/02/2020 at 05:55, Funky_Gibbon said:

Of the ones I'll can guess about...

Best Film - Parasite

Best Director - Sam Mendes

Best Actor - I think Phoenix will get robbed and it'll go to Antonio Bandaras

Best Actress - Renee Zellweger

Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins

Supporting Actress - Florence Pugh

Cinematography - 1917

International Film - Parasite

Documentary - For Sama

Writing (adapted screenplay) - Taika Waititi

Writing (original screenplay) - Bong Joon-ho

And if all of those happen I'll be annoyed I didn't put a bet on it.

You weren’t far off with your list.

Parasite was well deserved- my favourite film last year.

A bit fed up how some of these hollywood stars, especially winners- are using these platforms to make their political statements.

By all means understand you want to speak out and some of it is well worth documenting, but these people are stars and can say it anytime anywhere...and more often! Not just 1 or 2 x year as you stand on stage.

What a yawning bore all these hypocrital " protests" by the usual suspects are.   Hollywood  is the world of fiction not reality. This outside the industry is meaningless. The Oscars are just an event for the movie world to promote self indulgence & for a few hours forget that they are just actors in a roll & think they are heroes. Yes they are heroes of the performing arts & good luck to them but no they are not the heroes of social reality. 

heroes of virtue signalling more like.     

Drama queens........oh wait, that's their job!

Can a short (sorry, height-challenged), old (sorry, age-challenged), fat (sorry, weight-challenged), queer, disabled, gender-neutral, non-Caucasian director hurry up and make a film so it can be awarded an Oscar so we can all move on and not feel so exploitative and discriminatory?

Edited by frigate

4 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

Parasite was well deserved- my favourite film last year.

A bit fed up how some of these hollywood stars, especially winners- are using these platforms to make their political statements.

By all means understand you want to speak out and some of it is well worth documenting, but these people are stars and can say it anytime anywhere...and more often! Not just 1 or 2 x year as you stand on stage.

I've thought the same for years

2 hours ago, cressida said:

I've thought the same for years

I agree with you both.

6 hours ago, frigate said:

What a yawning bore all these hypocrital " protests" by the usual suspects are.   Hollywood  is the world of fiction not reality. This outside the industry is meaningless. The Oscars are just an event for the movie world to promote self indulgence & for a few hours forget that they are just actors in a roll & think they are heroes. Yes they are heroes of the performing arts & good luck to them but no they are not the heroes of social reality. 

heroes of virtue signalling more like.     

Drama queens........oh wait, that's their job!

Can a short (sorry, height-challenged), old (sorry, age-challenged), fat (sorry, weight-challenged), queer, disabled, gender-neutral, non-Caucasian director hurry up and make a film so it can be awarded an Oscar so we can all move on and not feel so exploitative and discriminatory?

I heard that one of our seemingly endless supply of 'National treasures', Olivia Coleman made a funny speech? 

I didn't see it but did she have her Extinction Rebellion badge pinned to her sparkly frock?  Last time I saw her she was throwing her weight behind ER in their campaign to reduce the number of airline flights.

No doubt she flew from London to Los Angeles on British Airways, the airline which she advertises & no doubt gets paid a handsome amount? 

National Treasure?  National Hypocrite more like!