Consultantation On E-Scooter Laws.

Seen one on attercliffe road on the road,there was a van at the traffic lights at Stephenson road turning left the e scooter rider tried to beat the lights and went up the inside of the van,which turned left leaving the e scooter rider bouncing off the side of the van,thought it was very funny,he was not hurt..

But maybe cyclist should have a bell fitted and use them as they sneak up on you 

12 hours ago, speleo1 said:

Seen one on attercliffe road on the road,there was a van at the traffic lights at Stephenson road turning left the e scooter rider tried to beat the lights and went up the inside of the van,which turned left leaving the e scooter rider bouncing off the side of the van,thought it was very funny,he was not hurt..

But maybe cyclist should have a bell fitted and use them as they sneak up on you 

Well according to the BBC's news yesterday, the e-scooters will, where they are in place, be expected to use cycle lanes.  Will we see confrontations between cyclists & faster scooter riders? 

Note that to use a rental e-scooter you will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence.  Will we have cyclists shouting at scooter riders, "Get back in your car"? 

Excellent alternative way to get to work if you live locally but yet again let down by an infrastructure that is insufficient.

Its pointless looking at the bigger picture because there isn't one.

Cycle lanes are mostly unfit for purpose and too short in most cases. 

Straight away we have to have draconian measures, Hire only, Full or Provisional licence so they can fine you or load you up with points.

Hardly encourages anyone to leave the car at home does it.

There's concern from the Royal National Institute for Blind People about potential dangers to partially sighted & the bline about scooters being riden pavements, (which we all know will happen, as it happens at the moment; seen a few over the past 12 months, even though it's illegal), & because of how quiet they are. 

People want to know who are going to enforce the regulations? 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/e-scooters-danger-safety-risks-blind-partially-sighted-people-rnbi-explained-460745

Note that many already had issues with cyclists riding on pavements. 

Edited by Baron99

On 01/07/2020 at 10:16, Baron99 said:

Well according to the BBC's news yesterday, the e-scooters will, where they are in place, be expected to use cycle lanes.  Will we see confrontations between cyclists & faster scooter riders? 

Note that to use a rental e-scooter you will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence.  Will we have cyclists shouting at scooter riders, "Get back in your car"? 

As the police didnt enforce the rules that were there previously do we REALLY expect them to enforce the extra ones that have been dreamt up???

Guidance / rules on e-Scooter use. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/escooter-rules-uk-government-trial-tees-valley-darlington-hartlepool-middlesborough-redcar-cleveland-a9616166.html

No riding on pavements then.  Good but can't see that lasting. 

People must not use a mobile phone when using an e-Scooter.  Can't see that lasting either.  "I'm on an e-Scooter.  I SAID AN EEEEEE-SCOOTER." 

Edited by Baron99

On 15/07/2020 at 11:04, Baron99 said:

Can't see any guidance about wearing a helmet though and I would have thought that important especially if riding on a road.

12 hours ago, apelike said:

Can't see any guidance about wearing a helmet though and I would have thought that important especially if riding on a road.

Must not be compulsory then-like for bicycles.

I sort of like the idea of one but I shan’t indulge just yet.

4 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Must not be compulsory then-like for bicycles.

No that why I said guidance but I don't see many road cyclists not wearing one though.

3 hours ago, apelike said:

No that why I said guidance but I don't see many road cyclists not wearing one though.

I see lots of cyclists not wearing a helmet (still a minority though) but that’s neither here nor there.  They don’t have to.

The link in Baron99’s post contains the following guidance for e-scooter riders.  It’s not listed with the rules because it’s not a rule that riders must wear one.  What more guidance do you want to see?

“They are also recommended to wear cycle helmets, but this is not a legal requirement.“

Edited by Arnold_Lane

29 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

What more guidance do you want to see?

Err... none. I didn't mention anything about it being compulsory whether it be scooter riders or bicycles as I already know its not and only guidance. Not forgetting also that at the moment it is just in the trials stage so things are subject to change.