Why Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons ?

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

I still don’t think patients complain enough. I was a State Registered nurse and my brother in law a consultant surgeon. I wonder how many medical mistakes have gone unnoticed ?

Many years ago I imagine it happened regularly - I know it did. Today things are FAR more tightly controlled which is why something like this is a massive cause for concern - clearly the strict guidelines and peer reviews etc were not being adhered to - particularly in the private area of

his working . I've worked in the NHS for over 42 years and have never held Consultants in awe - they are human like everyone else - but I do respect their skills and knowledge 

Edited by Daven

Did Ian Paterson ever work in Sheffield?

1 hour ago, Daven said:

Many years ago I imagine it happened regularly - I know it did. Today things are FAR more tightly controlled which is why something like this is a massive cause for concern - clearly the strict guidelines and peer reviews etc were not being adhered to - particularly in the private area of

his working . I've worked in the NHS for over 42 years and have never held Consultants in awe - they are human like everyone else - but I do respect their skills and knowledge 

I agree Daven.

1 hour ago, jane2008 said:

Did Ian Paterson ever work in Sheffield?

Not sure about that Jane but I don’t think so.

We put them in such high esteem because we are frail...they bring us back from the brink of death, and those around us who we have close connections with...we are grateful to the point of irrationality. Like us they are human, no more no less. No more inspiring than any professional in my book... 

3 minutes ago, Jon Brent said:

We put them in such high esteem because we are frail...they bring us back from the brink of death, and those around us who we have close connections with...we are grateful to the point of irrationality. Like us they are human, no more no less. No more inspiring than any professional in my book... 

I hope you don't find accountants inspiring.....................

The original question was "Why Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons?" Well we don't have to. 

Nor should it be "Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons?" 

However we should be in awe of the advancements in medical science & be grateful that some people have took the time, education, effort, cost & probably sacrificed a normal life during their teens & twenties to study for no other reason than to advance medical science even further for the benefit of the rest of us. 

Did anyone see the BBC's news report yesterday of a team of surgeons operating on a woman's brain tumour, who they woke up from the anaesthetic part way through the operation & had her playing her violin while removing parts of her brain, to ensure that she could continue to play the instrument she loves? 

The woman has made a full recovery. 

A few years ago I was due to have a prostate size reduction operation and I wrote to the surgeon in advance to ask about the exact details of the method he proposed to use. I didn't want a knife put up my best friend in case it slipped and I told him so. He was very pleasant and explained he would use a wire loop which was cold as it went up but would heat up electrically to red heat once in place and would both cut and cauterise at the same time to stop bleeding. This seemed reasonable to me so I agreed to have the operation on his terms. They gave me a spinal anaesthetic and as I laid in bed waiting for it to take effect I found I could lift my legs vertical and not feel it happening. Such a weird sensation. It was as if they were someone else's legs. Everything above my waist worked normally. During the operation he spoke to me all the time about aircraft. I had been in the RAF myself so I found his conversation interesting. He is a pilot and had some very good anecdotes to tell me. He described a WWII Lancaster bomber as "a million rivets flying in formation", which seemed funny at the time. I was very pleased with everything to do with the operation and the surgeon was first class, all on the good old NHS.  Then I found out that in fact it wasn't he who had done the op. but a junior doctor. He did it while the surgeon watched and spoke to me. I thought that was a bit deceitful of him but it all went well and when I went for a pee I did it just like a horse! I still have a great respect for that man.

On 20/02/2020 at 15:34, Baron99 said:

The original question was "Why Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons?" Well we don't have to. 

Nor should it be "Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons?" 

However we should be in awe of the advancements in medical science & be grateful that some people have took the time, education, effort, cost & probably sacrificed a normal life during their teens & twenties to study for no other reason than to advance medical science even further for the benefit of the rest of us. 

Did anyone see the BBC's news report yesterday of a team of surgeons operating on a woman's brain tumour, who they woke up from the anaesthetic part way through the operation & had her playing her violin while removing parts of her brain, to ensure that she could continue to play the instrument she loves? 

The woman has made a full recovery. 

And what might that be?

I think a culture of celebrating and rewarding  (rather than castigating) whistle-blowers in the NHS could be a good thing.

I don’t think we should but I think a lot of them have an attitude that makes us think we should. I worked in the NHS for many years and many consultants were treated and behaved like gods who no-one would dream of questioning with Registrars preparing for this reverence. I think the situation is improving but still difficult for staff to whistle blow and patients/relatives to challenge 

My brother in law was a consultant surgeon at the Northern General. He told me that if ever I went for a consultantation about a surgical procedure to always ask the consultant  “ Will you be doing my operation ? “  When I  asked why , he said “ Because if he not he may bugger off to play golf while leaving your operation to a junior doctor .