Why Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons ?

Reading about the thousands of women who were treated by the rogue breast cancer surgeon, I was disgusted by his colleagues who let things get passed when they knew he was doing wrong. Why do we hold doctors and surgeons in such regard ? They should be treated like any other profession , and brought to task when things go wrong. These poor women patients have been to hell and back. Firstly some patients had never had breast cancer to start with, and others had not had tissue removed, which caused the cancer to come back. 

These surgeons should be treated like any other profession, and brought to task, questioned thoroughly, and dismissed if found to have done wrong. 

They usually are?  Medical negligence cases are pretty big so the NHS is hot on making sure stuff is done properly.

Clearly it's an isolated case, but it's worrying the management at that hospital were so completely useless this went un-checked.

12 minutes ago, geared said:

They usually are?  Medical negligence cases are pretty big so the NHS is hot on making sure stuff is done properly.

Clearly it's an isolated case, but it's worrying the management at that hospital were so completely useless this went un-checked.

I still don’t think patients complain enough. I was a State Registered nurse and my brother in law a consultant surgeon. I wonder how many medical mistakes have gone unnoticed ?

Straight question straight answer =

Because they can cut our bodies open and fix bits that are going wrong. Pretty awsome in my book.

Is that really what you were asking? - (passive agressive)

8 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I still don’t think patients complain enough. I was a State Registered nurse and my brother in law a consultant surgeon. I wonder how many medical mistakes have gone unnoticed ?

I think there is a difference between honest mistakes and deliberate, malicious activity. 

We need a health service that protects doctors who make mistakes, but we also need it to have robust procedures to root out the rogue doctors 

13 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I think there is a difference between honest mistakes and deliberate, malicious activity. 

We need a health service that protects doctors who make mistakes, but we also need it to have robust procedures to root out the rogue doctors 

True. But you cannot make too many mistakes when it’s a matter of life and death.

Agree with the above.

I'm not in awe of them,  perhaps because I watched too many old black & white films where the characters certainly weren't in awe,  like me they knew what the 'S' in NHS stood for,  they were treated with respect but the health doctors didn't overstep the mark

17 minutes ago, pattricia said:

True. But you cannot make too many mistakes when it’s a matter of life and death.

I didn’t mean repeated mistakes. I should have made that clear.

Genuine Doctors/ Surgeons are clever people but I do find some of them to be pompous.

1 hour ago, francypants said:

Genuine Doctors/ Surgeons are clever people but I do find some of them to be pompous.

I can put up with surgeons being pompous and self important as long as they are good at their job and don’t make mistakes.

I do feel when it comes to GPs they need to be more approachable.

life is about conscience ..and so many "clever " people don't have one or care about concequences  (or me ..can't spell xx)

Far to many public sector workers,MP,Drs,Police,Fire,etc etc ,earn too much and have easy employment contracts/pension entitlements/flexi hours giving time off .My Ma died on a Friday..Dr who confirmed passing went off on a 4 day break so my family couldn't .oh god ,we could.nt get to see Mum till 10 days after cos the Dr didn't come back on shift till then.I'm sick of hearing  about the public sector workers compared to private sector.Nursers 3 x 12 hour shift then 4 days off is that fair? Doctors doing 3 days in surgery then £600 day doing locum work.Teachers retiring,then going back  earning more in same school for doing same job.School lecturers who do nothing from May till new term in September,and get a quarter of the year off too.....Thank god tories are in