2nd Hand Prices For Components Redux

Still happening, on E bay and increasingly Gumtree people wanting 40 pounds for HD's over 8 years old, graphics cards 2 yrs old, basically what they paid for them

It wasn't always like that that, I can remember getting components about half price after about a year

doesn't apply to SF prices are still reasonable, but sadly no one posts there on classifed anymore, shame i used to get most of my stuff there.

The problem with Ebay is that because they take a cut of 10% and then the seller maybe has to pay for postage most sellers are inclined to bump up their prices to compensate. Unfortunately many people selling their graphics cards bought them when the bit mining craze upped the prices a few years ago and again want compensate for the high price they paid. Nvidia also have made it harder by bringing out "Super" versions that are cheaper than the older versions and almost the same goes for AMD Ryzen CPU's.

As for SF classified.. it's now been ruined by its new format and the limited time ads are live, something already pointed out to them.

A lot of the used prices are way over the top but if people are still paying, nothing will change. I often see ads for PCs that are near on the same as buying new. Every now and again I get a good buy from Gumtree or eBay but it's usually a high price for very old and outdated tech. Maybe people haven't looked how cheap a new PC can be built for and just assume they will save £100s buying used. 

I'll not say any more about the for sale section on SF, apelike covered it perfectly.

EDIT: I just did a very quick price up for all the parts for a new PC with 8GB RAM, 120 SSD and a 1TB mechanical. Nothing special and not for the latest AAA games but the total was £228.26 including delivery for the parts for a new basic PC. I dare say if I took a bit more time, that price could be trimmed a bit. 

Edited by zach

I would like a 1070ti or 1080, not going to get those new cheap, and now not cheap 2nd hand either. from what I see on e bay is people set a decent price, but then people bid crazy amounts.

5 hours ago, apelike said:

The problem with Ebay is that because they take a cut of 10% and then the seller maybe has to pay for postage most sellers are inclined to bump up their prices to compensate. Unfortunately many people selling their graphics cards bought them when the bit mining craze upped the prices a few years ago and again want compensate for the high price they paid. Nvidia also have made it harder by bringing out "Super" versions that are cheaper than the older versions and almost the same goes for AMD Ryzen CPU's.

As for SF classified.. it's now been ruined by its new format and the limited time ads are live, something already pointed out to them.

Anyway we can lobby them, i am stuffed without SF classifieds

update, a gtx 1080, just gone for 375 on e bay, you can get a 2060 for that

Edited by gamezone07

11 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

I would like a 1070ti or 1080, not going to get those new cheap, and now not cheap 2nd hand either. from what I see on e bay is people set a decent price, but then people bid crazy amounts.

Anyway we can lobby them, i am stuffed without SF classifieds

update, a gtx 1080, just gone for 375 on e bay, you can get a 2060 for that

Unfortunately for you, the 1080 is still a very popular card. I have seen them go for much less on eBay but they tend to be on the budget end of the 1080's. I can't remember if it was you that ran the 970 in SLI but have you tried the part ex route? Maybe someone has a 1080 but could use a lower spec card and needs some cash.

don't know where i would sell like that, you can 970's for 70 pounds now, strange cos it is still a powerful card for 1080P

Only things that comes to mind are the swaps section on here and Gumtree. It's not going to cost anything to test the water. Depending on the make/model of the 970's, you might get more than £70 per card. 

Well, its all really jumped the shark, the prices are now out of control, with scalpers, etc, but other 2nd hand parts like SSD's seem to rising in price, with many wanting what they paid for it or more.

Hiting PC memory now, 70 quid asked for 80 pound memory used

If you keep up with the tech news, then you would know that there are MANY things at play, causing this...

1) Silicon Shortage - Due to a Tsunami, one of the main silicon mines was shutdown..
2) Foundry issues - Due to the above Tsunami, one of the main TSMC sillicon foundries was also shut down..

2b) Foundry issues 2 - Partly due to the pandemic, the foundries are behind on manufacturing..

3) China vs the US - the recent additional expenses the US has slapped in imports from china, and the ban on some things, lots of the US based companies and factories are unable to get components or products at the speed and cost they were previously able to.
4) All of the above, compounded with the current Crypto Mining boom...

These are however, only a few of the reasons (the main ones at least)

and there are MANY industries hit, even car makers due to the silicon issues.. Car manufacturers, appliances, mobiles, as well as SSD's, RAM, GPU's, CPU's etc... HDD's have also been hit due to silicon, and the "Chia" crypto (which uses HDD space, faster the HDD the better, but space is also a requirement)

So, because of such shortages of new items, the 2nd hand market has gone crazy, and prices are through the roof.....

You will be looking towards the end of 2022 before things start to settle to be honest...

8 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

Hiting PC memory now, 70 quid asked for 80 pound memory used

Try CEX in town or online.... They have 8GB DDR4 3200MHz memory in stock for £28 or 16GB for £58 with cheap delivery in around 3-4 days or collect in store. Only trouble is there is no description as to what make you may get. Maybe pop in and have a looksee first. Recently ordered 8GB of DDR4 2666MHz  for £22 and received Crucial. Ordered a GTX 960 4GB graphics card and got what looked like a brand new Zotac card, no dust etc and in pristine condition. 

Edited by apelike