Jump to content
We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

Sheffield blue plaque locations

Recommended Posts

Hello

any one know how I can find out where all the blue plaque house are in and around Sheffield,ie where famous people lived such as Michael Palin etc etc

Hope you can help

Regards

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chaddamp

 

I will suggest 3 points of contact

 

Sheffield Central Library          The Town Hall reception      Sheffield City Council             

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

Hello

any one know how I can find out where all the blue plaque house are in and around Sheffield,ie where famous people lived such as Michael Palin etc etc

Hope you can help

Regards

Paul

I don’t know who decides where blue plaques are placed, but the old trade directories of Sheffield give an insight  to where the great Sheffield names lived, on College Street, a street of small terraced houses, Samuel Plimsols mother lived in one of them, just round the corner on Clarkehouse Road, lived actor Patrick McGoohan as a child. I trace these houses of the movers and shakers of 19 th century Sheffield 

Edited by lazarus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

English Heritage , go on their plaque schemes place and look under Yorkshire 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lazarus said:

I don’t know who decides where blue plaques are placed, but the old trade directories of Sheffield give an insight  to where the great Sheffield names lived, on College Street, a street of small terraced houses, Samuel Plimsols mother lived in one of them, just round the corner on Clarkehouse Road, lived actor Patrick McGoohan as a child. I trace these houses of the movers and shakers of 19 th century Sheffield 

I saw Patrick McGoohan once when I popped into The Stone House one afternoon. He was reading a newspaper while sitting at a table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His first job was working was in the old bank on George Street, now a cinema, in the 18th century it was a well used coffer house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't Charlie Peace come from Darnal near the rolling mills?

 

I remember him being in a comic in the 50s/60s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

many many thanks to you all !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

 

 

Edited by jaffa1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Didn't Charlie Peace come from Darnal near the rolling mills?

 

I remember him being in a comic in the 50s/60s

I don't think he merits a blue plaque, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.