Gov Wanting To Ban Sale Of New Petrol And Diesel Cars From 2035

On 10/02/2020 at 12:11, geared said:

Only if you charge at a public point, unless you're suggesting putting all of that tax onto domestic electricity??

That certainly isn't going to work, not when millions of people don't own a car, have no need for a car and certainly won't like seeing the price of their electricity jump tenfold.

I guess we'll see a gradual increase in road tax over the coming years as electric cars take over from the combustion engine!

On 10/02/2020 at 12:34, Squimage said:

By that time I will be retiring and my personal transport needs for getting to work etc will finish so my priority is making sure that public transport is up to the job.

Progress moves fast when it needs to so electric cars, trains, buses and bikes will be very different in a decade.

Agreed. I surrender my driving licence early next year, so will be at the mercy of public transport.

"Progress" better get a move on!

2 hours ago, zaci said:

I guess we'll see a gradual increase in road tax over the coming years as electric cars take over from the combustion engine!

or road pricing/pay per mile.

Again though, that plan is built on infrastructure that we still don't have and is open to abuse.

Is there a limitless supply of materials for making batteries? I assume not , as the need for these materials grows exponentially  it will create a whole new world of problems.

The answer has to be in a totally new ways of moving people around.

14 hours ago, Baron99 said:

They might do it sooner still: Honda just confirmed that the closure of Swindon is now set in stone.

Give it another year or five, and between no car manufacturers left in UK, import duty on all foreign-built cars, and consumer spending power maybe back to 2008 levels by then...there won't even be a point to such a ban.

On 11/02/2020 at 17:41, Thorpist said:

The answer has to be in a totally new ways of moving people around.

by 'totally new', do you mean ?

bus

tram

bike

walk

?

If this really goes ahead - to schedule - it has massive implications.

Fuel filling stations will become fewer and fewer. Already sparse in rural areas, they will just shut. The ones in cities will turn into blocks of flats, as there will be no money in selling electricity.

Most car dealerships don't make money on new car sales. They make money on finance packages, and in their workshops. The latter will have nothing to do except change the odd wheel bearing, without all the motive power train work.

I buy my cars outright, at about 3 years old, and keep them for about 5 years. Then repeat. My son tells me to lease one with the dealers' magic money, and return it in 3 years time for the guaranteed buy-back and then re assess the landscape. Much as I dislike monthly payments, he may be correct.

The CEO of Ford was on the radio, they are about to launch a whole suite of hybrid petrol/plug-in electric cars and light commercials. But the government are squashing these in 12/15 years time. How does someone such as Ford make plans?

44 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

How does someone such as Ford make plans?

The simple answer in that case is, they just don't.

We may be Ford's third largest market, but if our government are going to play silly buggers they won't bend over backwards to accommodate.

We could quite easily end up with the Electric models they will offer and nothing more, take it or leave it.

56 minutes ago, ads36 said:

bus

tram

bike

walk

?

Probably something like we driver-less mini buses  running on hydrogen these can be made larger than cars to accommodate the  fuel tanks and safety features. Ordering a ride on one could be made easy with better technology.

Being smaller they would be more versatile to meet demand.

Certainly something has to be done and I don't think battery powered cars are the answer

On 10/02/2020 at 12:33, Resident said:

They'll come up with a charge point tax system. Home charge points will be connected to your smart meters and charged for the use of the point. 

So your domestic use charge won't be affected 

No need, they'll probably just chuck a black box in your car and you'll pay a tax per mile.

54 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

If this really goes ahead - to schedule - it has massive implications.

Fuel filling stations will become fewer and fewer. Already sparse in rural areas, they will just shut. The ones in cities will turn into blocks of flats, as there will be no money in selling electricity.

Most car dealerships don't make money on new car sales. They make money on finance packages, and in their workshops. The latter will have nothing to do except change the odd wheel bearing, without all the motive power train work.

I buy my cars outright, at about 3 years old, and keep them for about 5 years. Then repeat. My son tells me to lease one with the dealers' magic money, and return it in 3 years time for the guaranteed buy-back and then re assess the landscape. Much as I dislike monthly payments, he may be correct.

The CEO of Ford was on the radio, they are about to launch a whole suite of hybrid petrol/plug-in electric cars and light commercials. But the government are squashing these in 12/15 years time. How does someone such as Ford make plans?

Depending on what type of car you tend to get that could work out cheaper for you, you can usually get a cheap/free service package thrown in too.

7 hours ago, ads36 said:

bus

tram

bike

walk

?

Hoverboots?

Matter transporter?

You need to snap out of that narrow, unimaginative thinking. 😝