Gov Wanting To Ban Sale Of New Petrol And Diesel Cars From 2035

On 04/02/2020 at 14:42, alchresearch said:

What happened to the hydrogen car?    The review James May did of it looked very promising.

I think this is the way ahead. See

https://www.itm-power.com/h2-stations

Nice to see a local firm (!!) leading the way.

Utter ********.

What about the places in North Yorkshire, or  the Lake District, or Scotland, or the Outer  Hebrides which don't even have appropriate carbon based fueling stations let alone charging point to allow the volumeof traffic through them.

Another Boris Brexit promise which will come to nothing - where are all the promises he made? Nowhere!!!

Boris Brexit Bull**** Becomes Pathetic Patronizing Publicity!

Spin on  this Boris👆

10 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Utter ********.

What about the places in North Yorkshire, or  the Lake District, or Scotland, or the Outer  Hebrides which don't even have appropriate carbon based fueling stations let alone charging point to allow the volumeof traffic through them.

Another Boris Brexit promise which will come to nothing - where are all the promises he made? Nowhere!!!

Boris Brexit Bull**** Becomes Pathetic Patronizing Publicity!

Spin on  this Boris👆

You'd think that but they're very popular in remote bits of Norway.

On 07/02/2020 at 10:23, geared said:

And the fuel Duty

And the VAT on Fuel Duty

And VED which is linked to emissions

And BIK tax which is linked to emissions

There's a ton of tax made off motorists that is set to disappear.

They won't disappear, you'll pay the equivalent amount in a new "charge tax, in fact you'll pay more.

Its not rocket science - "Make it cheaper and they will buy".

My evidence is 5p/10p plastic bags at supermarkets. Simplistic it may be but in the end how effective has it been?

Allow the enthusiastics to bite the bullet and pay for their preferance but the vast majority will vote with their wallets.

But, Boris and the Conservatives have made this pathetic, empty ecological gesture . They may have a 'green wash'  effect on the 2025 General election,  heaven help us  if it does.  I'm not holding my breath - its worked before and will, probably, work again.

Edited by Flanker7
clarity

On 09/02/2020 at 11:23, Resident said:

They won't disappear, you'll pay the equivalent amount in a new "charge tax, in fact you'll pay more.

Only if you charge at a public point, unless you're suggesting putting all of that tax onto domestic electricity??

That certainly isn't going to work, not when millions of people don't own a car, have no need for a car and certainly won't like seeing the price of their electricity jump tenfold.

Edited by geared

20 minutes ago, geared said:

Only if you charge at a public point, unless you're suggesting putting all of that tax onto domestic electricity??

That certainly isn't going to work, not when millions of people don't own a car, have no need for a car and certainly won't like seeing the price of their electricity jump tenfold.

They'll come up with a charge point tax system. Home charge points will be connected to your smart meters and charged for the use of the point. 

So your domestic use charge won't be affected 

By that time I will be retiring and my personal transport needs for getting to work etc will finish so my priority is making sure that public transport is up to the job.

Progress moves fast when it needs to so electric cars, trains, buses and bikes will be very different in a decade.

We don't have the solar capacity so personal wind generators could be installed where safely possible without the bureaucracy

2 hours ago, Resident said:

They'll come up with a charge point tax system. Home charge points will be connected to your smart meters and charged for the use of the point. 

So your domestic use charge won't be affected 

We'll all need new smart meters then, cos the current ones won't support that.

Given the takeup of current smart meters wasn't anywhere near as good as expected, their reception was pretty poor and the whole program is behind schedule and over budget I doubt that will be an option.

Besides, no-one in their right mind would accept a meter like that anyway, they'll just run the meter they've got right now.

7 hours ago, geared said:

We'll all need new smart meters then, cos the current ones won't support that.

Given the takeup of current smart meters wasn't anywhere near as good as expected, their reception was pretty poor and the whole program is behind schedule and over budget I doubt that will be an option.

Besides, no-one in their right mind would accept a meter like that anyway, they'll just run the meter they've got right now.

You're assuming they wouldn't make it a legal requirement, Retro-active for home-charge stations. 

14 hours ago, Resident said:

You're assuming they wouldn't make it a legal requirement, Retro-active for home-charge stations. 

Seriously doubt it, totally unworkable and an utter waste of time.

You can (slow) charge many EV's from a normal 3-pin house plug  anyway, so it's still a non-starter.

Interesting article in the Grauniad - central London is virtually gridlocked - and therefore heavily polluted - despite the huge drop in private cars using the roads there.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/11/how-london-got-rid-of-private-cars-and-grew-more-congested-than-ever