Gov Wanting To Ban Sale Of New Petrol And Diesel Cars From 2035

1 minute ago, willman said:

I wonder what the maximum mile in one charge would be of a fully laden estate car.

Going to make a hell of a difference in costs for commercial drivers

Last week Chris Packham drove an electric car up-to Scotland prior to presenting this year's Winterwatch, and he tweeted the journey details.

Even in a nice top of the range car with fast charging, he was still having to tailor his journey to meet up with charging points, and a lot of hanging around horrible motorway services.

I just can't see the general public changing their lifestyles and paying more for the privilege of electric car ownership.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

What happened to the hydrogen car?    The review James May did of it looked very promising.

https://www.azocleantech.com/video-details.aspx?VidID=84

As for regular car ownership, this needs to be addressed first:

Rise of SUVs 'makes mockery' of electric car push

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50713616

That has even been noticeable at domestic and company level - my daughter bought a PHEV suv, yes it plugs in and does 30 mile on a charge but the rest of the time its worse than a "normal" diesel car. I have 4 colleagues who have SUV's as company cars now as the BIK is lower  than normal "company car" although one is looking at an electric SUV this time around,his geographical area would make it possible for him.

2 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Last week Chris Packham drove an electric car up-to Scotland prior to presenting this year's Winterwatch, and he tweeted the journey details.

Even in a nice top of the range car with fast charging, he was still having to tailor his journey to meet up with charging points, and a lot of hanging around horrible motorway services.

I just can't see the general public changing their lifestyles and paying more for the privilege of electric car ownership.

Thats as i thought, now obviously we have to take breaks whilst on the road but i personally don't want to be dictated to as to where i have to take them. I could reduce the work i actually do in a day allowing for the charging times into the 10/12 hours i currently do

23 minutes ago, willman said:

I wonder what the maximum mile in one charge would be of a fully laden estate car.

Should be more or less the same as unladen, given the torque levels of EVs.

I'd expect the journey itself to matter more, e.g. higher (motorway) speeds generate stronger (air) resistance, which would have a bigger influence on range than laden weight.

It's 15 years away, and that's just new car sales, so I'd expect ICEs to be generally around for a good 30+ years yet (not counting classics). Plenty of time to upgrade all of charging infrastructure, battery & other automotive techs, not mentioning the biggest elephant in the room: reducing levels of personal car ownership.

We'll be downgrading 3 cars to 2, and 3 ICEs to 1 ICE (main/long distance) + 1 EV (local/short runs) within the next 2-3 years I think. Keep the Jag, sell the classic MX5, swap the C220 for a Honda E or the like.

Then likely to go 1 high end EV (Tesla or somesuch) + EV motorbike within 5-7 years.

Edited by L00b

20 minutes ago, L00b said:

Should be more or less the same as unladen, given the torque levels of EVs.

I'd expect the journey itself to matter more, e.g. higher (motorway) speeds generate stronger (air) resistance, which would have a bigger influence on range than laden weight.

It's 15 years away, and that's just new car sales, so I'd expect ICEs to be generally around for a good 30+ years yet (not counting classics). Plenty of time to upgrade all of charging infrastructure, battery & other automotive techs, not mentioning the biggest elephant in the room: reducing levels of personal car ownership.

We'll be downgrading 3 cars to 2, and 3 ICEs to 1 ICE (main/long distance) + 1 EV (local/short runs) within the next 2-3 years I think. Keep the Jag, sell the classic MX5, swap the C220 for a Honda E or the like.

Then likely to go 1 high end EV (Tesla or somesuch) + EV motorbike within 5-7 years.

We started that from a personal perspective a few years ago - got rid of the MG TF and the Landrover.  Fortunately for us when the ban is scheduled to commence we'll be down to one car and i'm certain an EV would be appropriate then.

Its just the interim period that leaves a lot of  questions. I use a company car for 25k miles year(which i've reduced by 10k ) and for potential 300-400 mile round trips the current infrastructure to facilitate me buying an EV this year for the upcoming 3 year lease spell isn't attractive at all.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

It's 15 years away, and that's just new car sales, so I'd expect ICEs to be generally around for a good 30+ years yet (not counting classics). Plenty of time to upgrade all of charging infrastructure, battery & other automotive techs,

Installing charge points is the easy bit.  Where's the power gunna come from?

If half the country stick their car onto charge in the evening the demand will be epic, our current power stations just won't be able to keep up.

Takes a long while to build a power station and it's not like we're rushing to do anything about it now.

Will the government lose out when we are all driving electric cars? What about all the VAT the government gets from petrol and diesel at the moment? 

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

What about all the VAT the government gets from petrol and diesel at the moment? 

And the fuel Duty

And the VAT on Fuel Duty

And VED which is linked to emissions

And BIK tax which is linked to emissions

There's a ton of tax made off motorists that is set to disappear.

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Will the government lose out when we are all driving electric cars? What about all the VAT the government gets from petrol and diesel at the moment? 

I’m sure they will find a way of getting it back 

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

I’m sure they will find a way of getting it back 

They will - they'll simply rewrite the tax brackets to include some surcharge for using battery voltage or some such crap. 

They've dropped the co2 levels to include cars that have been VED free for nearly 10 years.

4 hours ago, hauxwell said:

They will find another tax, who knows what scheme they will think up to get the money. I bet Boris has a team already looking into how they can get money from us, rather than make the big corporations pay their fair share.

On 04/02/2020 at 13:53, iansheff said:

I think I will buy loads of heavy duty cable to make extension leads for all the people who live in tower blocks to plug their car in and I could make a fortune. 😁

This is the main issue that would appear for us;

we live in a high rise block with a separate block of garages, none of which have power to them.

So we would have no way to charge an electric car at home.

19 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

This is the main issue that would appear for us;

we live in a high rise block with a separate block of garages, none of which have power to them.

So we would have no way to charge an electric car at home.

Soon be like this: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/505106914438086632/