Gov Wanting To Ban Sale Of New Petrol And Diesel Cars From 2035

The government are pushing to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2035 if not sooner ,will this help the so called greenhouse effect as If everyone then has to buy electric cars won’t more electricity have to be produced to charge up these vehicles ? And will other countries implement these same sort of measures ?

1 minute ago, rudds1 said:

The government are pushing to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2035 if not sooner ,will this help the so called greenhouse effect as If everyone then has to buy electric cars won’t more electricity have to be produced to charge up these vehicles ? And will other countries implement these same sort of measures ?

I would guess an electric car would be 20/30% more effecient than a petrol/deisel powered car.

So the change over will help, but its a long way short of solving climate change. They should be investing and planning housing estates so that people use public transport.

They a trying to bring down the journey time for travelling long distances with the HS2, but it can still take over an hour to get to the wrong side of town if you need to get two or more buses.

Councils dont have enough powers or money to solve our climate and health emergency, it is the role of the Government, but they dont want to make unpopular decisions.

26 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

It is pretty easy to generate renewable electricity.

"Renewable energy sources provided more electricity to UK homes and businesses than fossil fuels for the first time over the last quarter, according to new research. The renewables record was set in the third quarter of this year after its share of the electricity mix rose to 40%." 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/14/renewable-electricity-overtakes-fossil-fuels-in-uk-for-first-time

I wouldn't be at all surprised if 100% of our electricity was from renewable sources by 2035. We are already at nearly 40% average annually. It was only 6.7% as recently as 2009. 

Too many variables and unknowns at the moment. 

Take this report for example.  Note the words "should fall" (price of batteries) and "hopefully bringing the cost down".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-48108627/electric-cars-is-it-time-to-buy-one

The report also says that "the electricity used to charge an electric vehicle mostly doesn't come from renewable sources".

And if you want a chuckle, watch former Top Gear presenter Steve Berry giving his opinion on BBC Breakfast this morning. He seems to think a national charging network can be easily achieved, then everyone will go out and buy and electric car and give their old ones to developing nations.

He made quite a prat of himself on telly this morning, typical London bubble thinking.

I'm sure everyone will be happy to rush out and splash 30 grand or more on an electric car, just at the drop of a hat.

If the Government push this too hard before the country is ready they'll alienate a good proportion of the population for who an EV isn't a viable option.

I think I will buy loads of heavy duty cable to make extension leads for all the people who live in tower blocks to plug their car in and I could make a fortune. 😁

Edited by iansheff

38 minutes ago, geared said:

He made quite a prat of himself on telly this morning, typical London bubble thinking.

I'm sure everyone will be happy to rush out and splash 30 grand or more on an electric car, just at the drop of a hat.

If you compare a petrol vs electric garden tools, electric is often cheaper. Give it time, surely an electric motor is simpler and cheaper than a petrol equivalent.

It's window dressing.

Something to do that looks like we're doing something, without actually doing something.

(a world I which we're still prioritising car use is not a world that's serious about climate change)

44 minutes ago, geared said:

typical London bubble thinking.

Hardly, most people in London don't have cars.

Edited by ads36

What happened to the hydrogen car?    The review James May did of it looked very promising.

https://www.azocleantech.com/video-details.aspx?VidID=84

As for regular car ownership, this needs to be addressed first:

Rise of SUVs 'makes mockery' of electric car push

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50713616

If the government / UK can't even roll out smart meters successfully, what chance do we have with a UK network of car charging points?

Hydrogen is difficult to store under pressure, the atoms/ions are so small they can simply through most solid materials.

(It's more complicated than that, but that's the rough idea)

Hydrogen fuel cells are very sensitive to contaminants, quickly becoming damaged with even trace amounts of stuff like sulphur.

I wonder what the maximum mile in one charge would be of a fully laden estate car.

Going to make a hell of a difference in costs for commercial drivers