Devonshire Arms, Middle Handley

Has anyone any memories of this great pub, ran for years by Tom and Jean Walker, it was a proper old school no frills boozer that did possibly the best pint of hand pulled Stones that money could buy.

I used to work at Kennings, Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, Tom and his wife used to bring their car for servicing. We used to call at their pub for a drink, lovely couple, always had a chat, brilliant pint in a proper pub, great memories of great people.

This pub was featured on a BBC programme put your money where your mouth is a few years ago. Never been in as it closed down in 2004 when the landlord passed away.  It reopened after refurbishment and was advertised as the first non smoking pub before the ban came in.  It's now a well established business and well attended.

11 hours ago, Billam said:

I used to work at Kennings, Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, Tom and his wife used to bring their car for servicing. We used to call at their pub for a drink, lovely couple, always had a chat, brilliant pint in a proper pub, great memories of great people.

I remember Kennings, had a chat with some of their representatives at a school careers evening once.

The Devonshire was my late dads favourite pub and one which I also frequented regularly in my teens when Tom and Jean ran it. Remember spending hours on the swing in the beer garden as a kid. Lovely couple, proper pub.

10 hours ago, mike-s said:

The Devonshire was my late dads favourite pub and one which I also frequented regularly in my teens when Tom and Jean ran it. Remember spending hours on the swing in the beer garden as a kid. Lovely couple, proper pub.

I must have gone at a similar time. A friend of mine once put glue on the handle of the outside gents WC, we waited over the wall for the first bloke to pay a visit and it just happened to be the pranksters dad, he shoved the door rather than the handle much to his sons relief only for it to catch on the floor, he then grabbed the glue covered handle for leverage, laughter and an almighty telling off and grounding ensued.