Plane In Distress?

When the Blades played West Ham a few weeks back on a Friday night, the police put up  drone.  It's a lot bigger than what you think by the sound it was making.  It must have been a good 500ft to get a good overall view but it still sounded like a swarm of angry bees.

This is what the initial poster might have seen? 

How do you get from, "Plane circling overhead", to, "It's in distress and looking for somewhere to land"?

A plane "in distress" would surely not circle over a built up area. Rather it would attempt to head for a rural area, where there would be considerably more opportunities for it to land? Such as, oh, I dunno, things called "fields"?

I despair about some people in this city.

21 hours ago, iLackBrainCells said:

The NPAS helicopters won't appear on FlightRadar anymore as the criminals were using it to see if it was heading their way. 

There has been a survey plane in this area over the last few weeks, flying out of East Midlands that has been on flights of four or more hours. 

(I'm an aviation geek)

They’re on OpenADSB tho 🦾

2 hours ago, Weredoomed said:

How do you get from, "Plane circling overhead", to, "It's in distress and looking for somewhere to land"?

A plane "in distress" would surely not circle over a built up area. Rather it would attempt to head for a rural area, where there would be considerably more opportunities for it to land? Such as, oh, I dunno, things called "fields"?

I despair about some people in this city.

Weredoomed -totally agree, why would anyone think it was in distress ?

It seems from The Star that it was a police plane but it wasn't the type on the link given by Shepcanon. I saw it several times .

On 02/02/2020 at 17:20, Hook said:

They’re on OpenADSB tho 🦾

They are but I heard it from a NPAS account that they'd asked carriers to block their position.

It's flying round killamarsh and its very exciting.

But it's only a single engine thing, I was hoping for a AC130 like on Call of Duty. 

"Targets in the village are confirmed as hostile. Cleared to engage. Smoke 'em."

Edited by tinfoilhat

They can loiter for hours, whereas the helicopter had to go and refuel regularly.

Good to see a police presence back in the sky. Since SYP did away with their helicopter, I've hardly seen once since

I’ve just heard it in Killamarsh, I also thought it was a plane in distress 😳

I suppose while it's not common knowledge that it's the police, people may be less likely to hide from it, fingers crossed they'll catch more people. 

On 01/02/2020 at 21:43, kidley said:

Maybe this is the answer.

C&P

So, it really depends what you are looking at. As far as cost, fixed wing aeroplanes tend to be more expensive to buy but less expensive to fly. ... The difference is mainly in fuel, the helicopter requires much more fuel than the aeroplane to stay aloft

Both are expensive though.  

It would be far cheaper to put Bobbies on the beat and have a few more panda cars surely?