Tv Or Computer Monitor

So I have my computer desk with my playstation on and computer monitor. At the minute I have the monitor plugged into the PC and playstation into the main TV. I'm getting a splitter so I can use both the PC and playstation on the monitor without messing about with taking HDMI cable out of main TV to use playstation on the monitor.

So my question is am I better off buying a new TV to use or just stick with either the monitor I have or a new monitor if I wanted to replace it? 

Entirely up to you. Depends on size etc. It's still all down to response times etc. Monitors don't have a TV tuner built-in either. Usually these days both with have HDMI. TVs won't have anything like DisplayPort or USB-C so it also depends how it's to be connected.

I don't need TV on it, it would be purely used for the desktop pc and playstation. My brother will be using a switcher to stop me having to keep swapping HDMI around but from what he said about the TV I'd seen was "it ideally would have another DVI or HDMI port", the one I saw only had one of each I think and he said the refresh rate and graphics might not be as good (guess he meant the pc on a TV with that). He couldn't really tell me which is be best off with though.

I use a TV on all my PCs/Playstation and Xbox now. I do play 4k on my 60" main telly. No problems from the PC as it has a stupidly fast GPU but the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X both have problems at 4k, they never were and never will be true 4k consoles IMO. I would find it hard to drop down to a big (ish) monitor although I'd expect a monitor would have better frame rates etc. I'm not what you'd call a serious gamer, my idea of playing a game is a controller, bottle of Bud and never play other people because they always win! 

So for me, a big TV every time but keep in mind, you get what you pay for. A decent big TV can cost a lot of money!

No I wouldn't be getting a 4k TV, I've read they aren't much good for consoles. It would just be a second hand TV around 32" size if I went that route so I can go on it while other half watches her rubbish on tv. I only play games like football manager or city kind of building games on pc so thought I might be better with a proper TV for my FPS games on playstation but didn't want it effecting my pc games too much but sounds like you don't have too many issues so think TV might be best way

29 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

No I wouldn't be getting a 4k TV, I've read they aren't much good for consoles. It would just be a second hand TV around 32" size if I went that route so I can go on it while other half watches her rubbish on tv. I only play games like football manager or city kind of building games on pc so thought I might be better with a proper TV for my FPS games on playstation but didn't want it effecting my pc games too much but sounds like you don't have too many issues so think TV might be best way

I've not noticed any problems with consoles on the 4k one (other 2 are 1080p) I think the 4k does some jiggery pokery to the picture when upscaling the 1080 signal from the xbox or playstation. They still look and play very well. It's your choice but I noticed how cheap the 4k ones were now. I can't comment on the quality of them as my 4k is over 3 years old now but Currys/PC world just fitted a new screen under warranty so I won't be buying new for a while hopefully. It might be worth looking at the cost of them for a bit of future proof and HDR etc.

Not sure in your budget, but something like this would be ideal. I have one similar.

it has 2 HDMI ports so one into each device and you are sorted.

looks great for the PlayStation too.

https://www.ebuyer.com/913304-lg-34wl500-b-34-ultrawide-hd-led-ips-monitor-34wl500-b?gclid=Cj0KCQiAm4TyBRDgARIsAOU75srtdgEOvWsh-P2hRvh32avoMwbtUVZQjQD1YFZo62WjoB8u6GKVhCQaAmTGEALw_wcB

depends on your budget and what size you want. i have just bought a 2nd hand monitor/tv for my computer desk. i have a lot of retro games consoles and use a desktop pc.

i looked at a brand new tv, but i failed to find a full HD 1080p one with all the connections i wanted. so i went down the 2nd hand route. i picked up a decent Samsung SyncMaster B2230HD.

it's a monitor with TV capabilities. has all the connections i need. 2 HDMI ports, VGA, component, scart, audio inputs and USB. has some pretty neat features too.

only cost me around £70 off ebay. might be worth considering if you don't mind 22".

Edited by PlayStation