Advice-Travelling through Sheffield on a match day

I sometimes have a need to travel through Sheffield-Penistone rd/Halifax Rd on a match day.

Example: If a match starts at 3pm and runs for 2hrs.Plus, the  time it takes for fans to leave ground and walk to cars, and drive out of the area.

What time would it be before Penistone Rd & Halifax Rd is clear?

Where (roughly) is your destination ?

If you’re coming from the M1 southbound you’d perhaps be better overshooting the junction to get to the A61 and take the next exit then  via Ecclesfield Shirecliffe etc Rutland Rd etc and ‘doubling’ back

I use to travel along Penistone Road and Halifax Road to get home on match days and you could see fans leaving 15 minutes before the match was due to end, I suppose to miss the rush or they were disgusting with their team.

if a match was due to end at 5 pm the worst was over at 5.50 pm I would say.  There was a few exceptions but I though that was due to a full house.  I use to try and time driving home before the match came out.

This was about five years ago so see what other replies you get to your post.

Edited by hauxwell

Depends when you term busy times! 

Imo if I was you from Home location. I'd join the M1 at Junc 33, leave at Junc 35, through ecclesfield to the wheel, turn left onto Halifax Rd on to Penistone Road.

Going home the reverse way.

In answer to your initial question? I would Say full dispersal of fans, between  45 - 75Mins.

Edited by DeZeus
Correction to ?

Hello every one yeah DeZeus says right  that's depends when you term busy time.

Just be careful with timings. I once sped down Salt box lane to make sure I passed Hillsborough before final whistle and got a speeding ticket for my troubles. Only ever had 2 in forty years of driving!!!

That end of town isn't affected at all by match day.

Edited by philyyy