Theft Of Garden MacHinery From Van

Hi all

Just a heads up to trades people.

I had a Stihl BR 420 back pack blower and a Stihl HT 101 long reach chainsaw stolen from my locked van on Highton Street Walkely around lunchtime yesterday.

Police think they used a 'blocker' to ping a signal from my key fob to open the van.

Edited by Brian's mate
spelling mistake

1 hour ago, Brian's mate said:

Police think they used a 'blocker' to ping a signal from my key fob to open the van.

It almost sounds like the criminals  are ahead of technology.

9 minutes ago, Janus said:

Buy an RFID key wallet, Amazon, about a tenner I think.

Hope the OP gets their tools back.

I have my missus keep her key in a tin, i told her what it was so now she tells people she keeps her key in a  Friday cage!    :help:  bless 

Better safe and all that.

Not making light of your situation, i have had more than £20000  of gear and van nicked which the police could have easily caught but preferred not to, i never recovered losing so much gear i had collected over many years and like quite a few of my mates gave up and would no longer work as a mobile tradesman. The odds are stacked too much against you.

You non trades persons  who  think this thieving scum are just a bit cheeky and making a living, no real harm done - don't complain at your extortionate  charges for some person coming to your home to to a job. They are often having to pay a second guy for security as well as massive insurance charges.

Edited by Arthur Ritus

17 hours ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Not making light of your situation, i have had more than £20000  of gear and van nicked which the police could have easily caught but preferred not to...

Not making light of your situation either, but your 20 grand pales in comparison to the value of plant that disappears! Diggers, dumpers, telehandlers also seem fair game to a certain type of our population. Even plant that are discovered in "out-of-the-way camp compounds" courtesy of hidden tracking devices - those that aren't discovered and disabled - are not followed up by the boys in blue.

I know this is bolting the door after horse has gone but to the op depending what van he has has he thought about fitting remote control deadbolts. They are a great bit of kit ,failing that what about fitting deadlocks ?

A lot of my gardening friends have had gardening machinery stolen from their vans(including me)and from gardens when they are working. Some of them have fitted extra locks and alarms and they never work in gardens without have an eye on all their tools. This has greatly helped in reducing tool theft.Hope these tips are useful to all traders in the area. Regards Elvis 

I'm waiting for in-built trackers in some of these expensive tools so they can either be rendered useless to the thieves or emitting a signal so they can be tracked down.

Keep an eye out people please.  We need the public to help catch these lowlifes.

Edited by Lex Luthor

On 31/01/2020 at 13:42, Janus said:

Most of the time they are. 

Within the tech industry some companies seek out hackers/crackers and offer them employment to come up with better security.