For Sama

Has anyone else seen this yet? It's a simply stunning documentary film, available on All4, which was filmed by Waad Al-Kateab over 5 years of the civil war in Aleppo, from the student uprising to the desperate conclusion and fall of the city.

The Sama of the title is Waad's daughter, conceived, born and brought up as the crisis deepens. I have never seen anything come remotely close in terms of showing the true visceral horror of war, nor the extraordinary ability of the human spirit to endure and to find hope even in the darkest places.

There were several moments during the film where I wept like a baby - both at the appalling cruelties people can inflict upon one another and the love between Waad, her husband Hamza and their team of family friends and colleagues as they run a makeshift hospital under fire.

If you haven't seen it, please, please do.

Posts have been removed. The bickering is to cease. If you can't get on with another user, simply ignore them!

28 minutes ago, Groose said:

Posts have been removed. The bickering is to cease. If you can't get on with another user, simply ignore them!

I never saw the posts but how anyone can anyone bicker about this, it is one of the most disturbing things I have ever watched, it left me equally as angry as it did sad.

"For Sama" won the Bafta award for best Documentary. 

I haven't watched it yet because after seeing a couple of shocking hollocaust documentaries recently I haven't felt ready to do so. 

Here's the family receiving the Bafta presentation

Saw it win the award.  Didn't know it was available on all4, thanks Halibut.

Difficult viewing especially when you see kids being blown apart and the level of destruction.

I had to pause for a while after the scene where the 2 boys bring in their young brother (who unfortunately does not survive a bombing), and they are then seen together crying, one kissing the forehead of the dead brother☹️

It is a shame that this has been allowed to happen and I hope justice prevails for the ppl of Syria, and those cowards who bombed (and their leaders) are charged for war crimes.

Why on earth would you bomb a hospital??!! Knowing there are people already in there dying or being saved.