Greeting Cards 1950s/60s

I was reading on another site that it was illegal in Sheffield to sell greeting cards -from newsagents etc- on Sundays in the 1950s/60s, anyone heard of that ?

Edited by St Petre
add

Yes I remember that. There were also other items that couldn't be sold but I can't remember what. Seems very strange looking back on it but it was just something we accepted.

It wasn't just in Sheffield.

In the 60s and early 70s I lived in London where my mom and dad had a newsagents.

On Sundays the greeting cards were covered up because it was illegal to sell them.

I can remember the police doing spot checks.   What a stupid law.  Can you imagine it happening these days !

" Right PC Plod ....  today you're on greeting card duty "   🤣

As Rollypolly said, the same law applied to other items too but I can't remember what either.

If I remember correctly you couldn't buy fish and chips on Sunday.

You couldn't but chips but you could buy scallops that were only potatoes cut to a different shape.  Barmy!!!

Also, I think it was once illegal to wash a car in the street on a Sunday, wonder if that still applies.

Not an illegal action but when I was 12 (1960) my mum wouldn't let me play with my hula hoop on Sunday afternoons in case I got too excited. What a harsh life