M1 Speed Cameras

Has any one received a speeding offence notice for breaking the variable speed limit on the  M1 on this section of motorway on 16th January at about 9.45 pm.  The variable speed signs were not on I am told yet the cameras flashed passing cars. The motorway was deserted except for just a few cars  so something wasn't right.

If they were breaking the speed limit and flashing those cars then what is the issue? I always assume they're on, just because they don't display a speed limit you shouldn't assume they're not on. If there's no speed limit shown then you can assume it's the national speed limit. It's not difficult to understand to be fair.

29 minutes ago, probedb said:

If they were breaking the speed limit and flashing those cars then what is the issue? I always assume they're on, just because they don't display a speed limit you shouldn't assume they're not on. If there's no speed limit shown then you can assume it's the national speed limit. It's not difficult to understand to be fair.

I'm assuming the drivers were doing national speed limit based on the assumption the signs were off and not displaying anything lower. If the signs aren't on, what else can you assume on a motorway? 

Around junction 31 and 32 I have seen them flash in traffic heavy when the traffic doesn't seem to be doing much over 70mph. I make that assumption as I wasn't speeding and no  cars seemed to be breaking away from the rest, ie not significantly going over 70mph.  I wasn't there on the date and time you mention.

I've seen people get flashed in the inside lane before i've caught up with them to overtake them. I've been going around the set limit for the moment at the time.

They are always on and live, usually set at 79mph.

The one that is most active around here is at J27 Gildersome on the M62 near to Ikea at Leeds. Don't think I've travelled through that stretch and it hasn't flashed at passing cars.

The M62 ones are always on, I don't think the M1 ones are.

Most everyone slows down for em now, I've not seen an M1 camera flash for ages.

On 29/01/2020 at 21:06, Tfuzz said:

Has any one received a speeding offence notice for breaking the variable speed limit on the  M1 on this section of motorway on 16th January at about 9.45 pm.  The variable speed signs were not on I am told yet the cameras flashed passing cars   going over 40mph. The motorway was deserted except for just a few cars  so something wasn't right. 

Just out of interest, what sort of "distance travelled" would be used by the camera system to calculate the average speed of a vehicle?

2 hours ago, Janus said:

Just out of interest, what sort of "distance travelled" would be used by the camera system to calculate the average speed of a vehicle?

Assuming that you are not thinking that the discussion above related to average speed cameras, the answer to your question is that it depends ... 

I drove past 40mph speed limit ‘strong winds’ warning signs, M1 north just after Meadowhall, I was driving more than 40mph (...yeah, I know) didn’t see any flashes on the northbound carriageway but did see camera light flashes on the south bound carriageway but didn’t see any cars that side and have no idea if the southbound carriageway had ‘strong wind’ and 40mph speed limit signs.

If I’ve been caught driving over the 40mph speed limit signs would I have actually seen the camera flash in my mirror (which I didn’t), are they that obvious or would you not realise you’ve been flashed at ? I think I was possibly more distracted by the flashing lights covering the southbound side and wondering if those flashes were for me ?! 
Obviously now panicking and waiting to see if I receive an NIP and if I do how much it’s going to cost me.

24 minutes ago, Val Addison said:

I drove past 40mph speed limit ‘strong winds’ warning signs, M1 north just after Meadowhall, I was driving more than 40mph (...yeah, I know) didn’t see any flashes on the northbound carriageway but did see camera light flashes on the south bound carriageway but didn’t see any cars that side and have no idea if the southbound carriageway had ‘strong wind’ and 40mph speed limit signs.

If I’ve been caught driving over the 40mph speed limit signs would I have actually seen the camera flash in my mirror (which I didn’t), are they that obvious or would you not realise you’ve been flashed at ? I think I was possibly more distracted by the flashing lights covering the southbound side and wondering if those flashes were for me ?! 
Obviously now panicking and waiting to see if I receive an NIP and if I do how much it’s going to cost me.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned.. but if its the worst case scenario it will be 3pts on licence and £100 fine.

However, if like me its your first offence, you will be offered a speed awareness course £95 and no pts on licence.