Freeview Sheffield Transmitter - Retune / Channel Loss From 5 Feb 2020

freeview channels are grouped into Mux's

Each mux consists of multiple freeview channels. If the signal supplied by your aerial isn't good enough for a particular mux, a group of channels can be missing.. So the answer is usually an aerial signal strength problem. If you have another aerial,  try tuning in with that.

BBC and itv/c4/c5 are on a different mux, as seen in this table. So it may be that your aerial position needs adjusting, or it may need a different aerial. Electrical interference from wires around the tv can also cause problems, along with loose connections etc. Weather and trees can also affect signal.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/channel-listings

The frequencies that are used to supply each mux are constantly changing, somewhat annoyingly, so one day your aerial may be able to pick up the required frequency for a group of channels, the next day they may disappear.

Sometimes manual tuning can pick something up, if your set has the option

emley moor manual tuning settings for these muxes are

ch4/5/itv  broadcast on channel44 (which uses the 658mhz frequency)

the same channels on HD use channel 41 (which broadcasts on 634Mhz)

Edited by fools

On 03/04/2020 at 13:16, cityspinner said:

Can any of the experts on here help me?

My bedroom tv will not tune in to ITV, Channels 4 and 5.

When I re-tune, it picks up BBC 1,2 etc ok but not the channels above!

Sometimes it shows 43 channels found, sometimes 62 but still no ITV.

Picks up ITV 2 plus one, ITV 4 and ITV 5 though.

I am puzzled, surely it should pick up ITV if it can pick up BBC!

I had this recently, tuning in would not give me BBC1 or 2, but put ITV on 1 Channel 4 on 2, then BBC news on 3 etc...

everything messed up - I reset my TV and reconfigured the location etc when it asked, repositioned my arial and its sorted now..

Tanks to fools and Ghozer for taking time to reply.

I'll have to have some aerial attention once things return to normal.

On 02/04/2020 at 05:21, dacrlit said:

Sorry about that, I was Tetchy that day.

🤣 👍

6 hours ago, cityspinner said:

Tanks to fools and Ghozer for taking time to reply.

I'll have to have some aerial attention once things return to normal.

Is the aerial plug getting a good connection, my tv upstairs was great for years then it started missing channels, I even asked on here for ideas, occasionally it was fine but other times when I retuned channels were missing. I thought it was my freeview recorder because once I disconnected it the tv was ok. However when I got a new TV downstairs put the one from downstairs upstairs the picture started pixilating and channels not loading. I looked at the aerial plug  and it was a bit of a sloppy fit so I replaced it, the picture has been fine ever since.

Can any body clear up the situation regarding the local mux (sheffield live - i know  🤔  but there are other channels some sony channels the boss likes),we get it (only any good when not raining or high pressure) on channel 31.

I am leppings lane area and tuned into crosspool transmitter. According to https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Tapton_Hill   it is transmitted on channel 55 (at low power) and com 7 mux is transmitted on ch31 .

According to Justins site https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/transmitters/sheffield-crosspool-transmitter its now on ch35 at 400w, ch 31 is turned off along with ch 37 and Grenoside transmits on ch31.

Is Grenoside still transmitting on 31? if so how does my kitchen tv pick it up when the aerial  its at 90 degrees to the direction its pointing, especially as its being transmitted in a 30 degree arc to manor direction?  no other tv's on the same splitter get it.

There is very little info about tv being transmitted from grenoside, it usually just gets listed as a radio transmitter.

Is Tapton/ crosspool still transmitting on ch35, if so why can i not recieve it? I am able to get ch 21 - ch 45 clearly although 45 has less power so my system seems happier at the lower end of the spectrum so perhaps the lower power tips it.  Any body else in the area geting the local channel and if so on what Mux?

I think things have been changing that much that organisations / websites have given up trying to keep up, there is a lot of conflicting information around, i am having most cofidence  in Justin at the moment.

Edited by Arthur Ritus
stupidity

We don't have a line of sight to it we being down in the bottom of the valley.

Can you get sheffield live?  not that you would want to watch it but just to see if you are picking up that MUX.

Interesting, your aerial is pointing towards emley so not picking up sheffield live etc. from crospool (mux ch35) so presumably picking up grenoside on mux ch31.

That is about 45degrees from the direction your aerial is pointing and about the same angle from the grenoside transmitter makes to Manor/intake which it points so i would think some thing of a peripheral reception in both ways.

It doesn't help me though, i really need to know if anybody is receiving mux ch35 from tapton, except that it supports the info on Justin's web site.

Edited by Arthur Ritus

5 hours ago, glitterballs said:

Can you not point your aerial towards Emily Moor?

I knew in advance that we would loose some channels we liked and as we also needed a new aerial I had one fitted and pointed at EM and all channels were there.

Why did you get a new Aerial?

Most standard aerials that have been around since WAY before Digital TV, are perfectly capable of receiving DTV signal, and for 99% of people there's no need to change the aerial....

The only time you should need to change it, is if it's physically damaged

Edited by Ghozer

12 hours ago, glitterballs said:

It wasn’t in the best of health and not fastened to the stack securely plus the coax on the roof had holes all over it, new house and all that, start with new  

Ah, no worries :D

Still worth me posting that, as there may be others with a perfectly fine aerial, thinking about upgrading :)

It's really not worth it, unless damaged, as yours was :D