Freeview Sheffield Transmitter - Retune / Channel Loss From 5 Feb 2020

Thank Carosio, sorry for being a while getting back, if problem

persists, seamed ok last night, will have to get some one to go

up on the roof and take a look.

But yet again because I cannot go up there, no head for hights,

and see for my self they could tell me anything from just a loose

wire to you need a new arial so will see how it goes for a while.

Aerials themselves rarely need replacing unless the cable connectors in the box have deteriorated. More commonly it's the down lead that has let in water due to a pinched clip or the wind has chafed it along the gutter or similar. Usually a replacement downlead(s) solves the problem. Although, if another aerial is mounted on the stack too close to an existing one it could cause interference, particularly with the old analogue transmissions. If in a weak signal area, splitting the signal for two sets reduces it by half, so a high gain aerial is sometimes required.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 19:00, carosio said:

Aerials themselves rarely need replacing unless the cable connectors in the box have deteriorated. More commonly it's the down lead that has let in water due to a pinched clip or the wind has chafed it along the gutter or similar. Usually a replacement downlead(s) solves the problem. Although, if another aerial is mounted on the stack too close to an existing one it could cause interference, particularly with the old analogue transmissions. If in a weak signal area, splitting the signal for two sets reduces it by half, so a high gain aerial is sometimes required.

This is not necessarily true unfortunately, particularly for "Bacofoil aerials:

Bacofoil-TV-aerials-533W-L5.jpg

Other aerial bodges......

Edited by Justin Smith

Morning Justin, Other Aerial Bodgers, that is very intresting the information

you give is fascinating and if other people are having problems with their reception

I surgest they read what you have posted if there's are mounted or have simular obstacles as your pictures show then they know what the problem is with the reception, I have been and looked at our aerial, ok it's only from ground level and I would think it's most likely a Wide Band general purpose aerial on a four foot mast clear of any obstacles, quite a few around use are of the same shape and style etc. 

Couple of question's I would like to ask we have had in the past on a lovely warm clear day with no clouds etc the channel's on the high'er channel number's break up is this to do with the atmospherics, do you really need a Digital aerial, is there such a thing, if you have a all singing dancing HD internet TV.   Thanks

Edited by MEC176

20 minutes ago, MEC176 said:

Morning Justin, Other Aerial Bodgers, that is very intresting the information

you give is fascinating and if other people are having problems with their reception

I surgest they read what you have posted if there's are mounted or have simular obstacles as your pictures show then they know what the problem is with the reception, I have been and looked at our aerial, ok it's only from ground level and I would think it's most likely a Wide Band general purpose aerial on a four foot mast clear of any obstacles, quite a few around use are of the same shape and style etc. 

Couple of question's I would like to ask we have had in the past on a lovely warm clear day with no clouds etc the channel's on the high'er channel number's break up is this to do with the atmospherics, do you really need a Digital aerial, is there such a thing, if you have a all singing dancing HD internet TV.   Thanks

Are you sure you haven't got excessive signal ? Most people don't realise you can have too much signal and it's as bad as too little, here is an article on signal strength. My advice to anyone with a signal problem is buy an attenuator, they're only a couple of quid.  When the attenuator is in use does the signal get better or worse ? If it gets better your problem is / was excessive signal, if it gets worse you're short of signal.

There's no such thing as a "digital aerial", excepting where transmitters changed group at the digital switchover, e.g. back in 2011 Sheffield / Crosspool went from A group to wideband / K group, the graph below illustrates how an  A group aerial will only pick up 3 or 4 of the 6 MUXES :

Sheffield-transmitter-channels-v-aerial-

Edited by Justin Smith

Again John intresting especially that about Muxes don't quite follow

the graph but the idea of signal strength under doing it or over doing

it sounds feasible as we have a near enough uninterrupted view of Emley

Moor and hence a strong signal we are only over the hill from you so the

next time I'm in your area I will call in and get an Attenuater and give it a

try.  Thanks

It's quite true that you can have too much signal. I remember in the analogue days that the sets in the villages close to Emley could receive a good picture with just a screwdriver stuck in the socket. The fact is though that one set is getting a perfect pic, although some tv tuners can overload more than others.

A pair of binoculars are useful for having a closer look at the aerial/leads.

My arial is pointed towards Belmont, but since the digital switchover I have been receiving some channels from Belmont and some from Sheffield.  All the HD channels were on the Sheffield transmitter, but  I've tried retuning the TV and it won't pick up the HD channels on Belmont.  I am now unable to pick up any HD channels at all, as the 5 remaining ones are just pixilating all the time or just cutting out all together, so I don't know if they turned the power down at the same time as they took the other channels off.    I am wondering if it is worth getting a new arial to see if it will pick up the HD channels from Belmont as my existing arial is probably over 30 years old and not designed for digital?

Either way it is very poor that many people in a major city like  Sheffield  are now without digital channels, surely they could have organised this switchover so it wouldn't have affected so many people.

On 08/02/2020 at 09:47, Blue Day said:

Well thanks for that 👍

Sorry about that, I was Tetchy that day.

Can any of the experts on here help me?

My bedroom tv will not tune in to ITV, Channels 4 and 5.

When I re-tune, it picks up BBC 1,2 etc ok but not the channels above!

Sometimes it shows 43 channels found, sometimes 62 but still no ITV.

Picks up ITV 2 plus one, ITV 4 and ITV 5 though.

I am puzzled, surely it should pick up ITV if it can pick up BBC!